x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Reluctant Galaxy S-5 Owner

1 2 3
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2014-09-21 8:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yeah, it still doesn't let you run an app from any location like a memory card or network share.
Ditto for iOS and WP7/8.

With CE I store thousands of apps on a Windows/SMB share and run them right over the network. It's great for those huge games and emulators that I don't feel like wasting SD card space on, if I want to share the same app configuration on multiple devices or tiny things like test builds you just want to check the success of!

It makes me wish Symbian was still around too. I just hope the days aren't numbered for open OSes on the desktop.

Though, I will say I've had some success running CE in that Limbo PC Emulator/QEMU port for Android. The CEPC sample .vhds C:Amie made from the SDK images work fine if you boot them.
Though, it is still slower than I'd like even on a dual core 1ghz+ device.

I've also booted CE inside the CE BOCHS port on the HD2 and H/PCs For some reason that old QEMU CE port only half works. I mean it seems to boot and I see the mouse cursor but I never see the explorer desktop.

I was thinking about building my own CEPC image with floppy, HDD and networking support to maybe try to get something usable for QEMU on Android.

It would at least be able to run .NET CF stuff (I imagine slowly) and whatever open source x86 CE stuff you can get compiled. Better than no CE at all on these newer phones/tablets. :/

I'd like at least a few CE core images and maybe a Handheld PC 2000 and Pocket PC images. HPC2000, Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003 and Pocket PC 2003 SE all have ROM images available for x86.

I was actually thinking about trying to hack some of the Pocket PC .cem x86 emulator images into something usable when booted on real hardware or in VMware/VPC/QEMU with things like more networking drivers, floppy/HDD support, hive based registry, etc. Sound already seems to work (slowly) on the Android QEMU if you set it to a sb16 and use a CE emulator nk.bin/nk.cem from the various SDKs.

I could probably make something out of a Handheld PC 2000 OS image using drivers from Pocket PC 2002 and Platform Builder with enough hacking. Though, I really need some help. Cooking custom CE roms is not my favorite thing to do as it can be a real pain especially when the reloc information is missing from dumped files. Though, maybe some of this can be avoided by using drivers taken from CE 4.0 PB OS builds. I never really tried backporting CE 4.0 drivers to 3.0 via lowering the OS version so i'm not sure how well that would work.

Anyway, it would be really cool if Android could at least emulate a usable Handheld PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2003.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 58 - Executed queries : 9