x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Internet Speed Test

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-01 6:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Supposedly I have a max internet speed through my ISP of 50mb/sec.

So when I test it on one of the many speed tests that are all over the web, I only show around 28mb/sec, no matter which speed test I use. Whether it is the one on the Verizon web site, or speedtest.net, the are all about the same.

And even stranger is that I select a host that is nearby, say less than 50 miles away, the speed is no different than if I test it against a server that is on the opposite side of the world...and sometimes those are even faster.

Why is that?

(snap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments snap.jpg (41KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-08-01 7:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I get something between 58 and 76 Mbps usually, it's variable because the last 200m is still copper sadly.

The reason is simply that latency isn't much of a factor in your burst speed. The speedtest.net peer servers are just that because they are on fat pipes. Assuming that you can get through your ISP network to their BGP edge network, there is normally going to be enough bandwidth available to get you anywhere you want to go at whatever speed you arrived at - speaking from a residential broadband perspective. It's inside the Interior gateway (IGP) where most speed bottlenecks occur.

Your response times and packet latency will increase, but in a burst situation it doesn't matter if you waited 16ms for a stream or 168ms for a stream, it'll still come back at 27.06Mbps assuming you have the lane to yourself.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-08-04 1:28 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I tried a 4G network that is from Willcom using Softbank network and here's the result.

22.08Mbps down, 2.63Mbps up.

Edited by stingraze 2014-08-04 1:29 AM

(speedtest.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments speedtest.jpg (120KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.168 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10