x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any way to print to a modern network printer from an HPC?

aab Page Icon Posted 2014-08-05 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have a network color laserjet on my router/network and was wondering if I put an Ethernet card in an HPC with Win CE 2.0 and connect it to my router is there a way of printing to it from programs like Word and Excel on the HPC or do modern printers not speak the same language? Does Win CE even support network printers?

Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2014-08-05 8:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the printer supports PCL 4, you can print to it directly from CE without any drivers by sending it to the printer network share path. Otherwise, you need a driver.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2014-08-10 12:40 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Are there any current printers that support PCL 4? I looked but didn't find one.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-10 12:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Most modern printers are backward compatible with the earlier PCL command set. If you notice with our HPCs, our default options are PCL Laser and PCL Inkjet. That was the latest standard when these things were made, using the PCL3 command set, at least for CE3 and PCL4 for CE.NET 4.2.

However, since the PCL command set is cumulative, that is they recognize commands from earlier PCL printers, but also add new commands to provide enhanced printing of primarily graphics, you may not utilize a newer printer to its fullest capacity.

Some of the first color lasers and color inkjets however will only support black and white printing because our HPCs don't have PCL3C+ support...which was the standard when the printer was released.

The newest printers with PCL6 are a mixed lot, most are backward compatible, but a few are not. You just have to try them to see if they work.

The JetCet printer drivers were supposed to have added PCL4 support back when they were released by Westek, at least the newer versions did.

The JetCet printer drivers in the SCL will support, or should theoretically support, your CE2 devices and allow you to print to your network printer.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9