x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What has happened to all the HPC's

mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2014-08-19 1:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

What has happened to all the HPC's? And what has happened to all the people that use them? Have we all gone over to the dark side?

I keep thinking back to the days of the 200LX. That was truly the most memorable PC in my pocket I ever owned. I don't think there is anything today that can even come close. We've all gotten spoiled with our iPhones, haven't we?

Mike...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-08-19 1:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Back in 1974, I bought a Heathkit IC2009 calculator kit for $90. It was state of the art back then, using LEDs. It had 4 functions...that was it. Ran on 6 AA batteries.

Today, even if I still had it, I wouldn't be using it at all. Better calculators for $5 that run off sunlight...so yes, we have gone over to the dark side.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-08-20 1:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If you're wondering what happened to all the H/PCs, they're all over at my house.
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-08-20 3:27 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

yeah, I still do most of my story writing work with the HPC J720. No, I do not use it for the web, but typing lots of text is still the best with the Jornada. No smartphone is smart enough to even come close.

Well, I still can get 9-10 continuous hours from my refurbished battery pack. Guess the iPhones and Androids still cannot match this one.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2014-08-20 9:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Slightly off-topic, I used a Alphasmart Neo for my word-generating portion of my novel-writing. 700 hours on 3 AA. But, it's a seriously specialized tool.... I really tried to keep my HPC's in service, but it was a losing battle when things had to quickly talk nice to each other.
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2014-08-24 5:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I still use my Jornada and MP 790 frequently for PIM functions, but they're becoming less useful for class prep. They struggle with newer PDFs, and online research with them is next to impossible. I'm thinking about replacing them with a refurbished Win RT or android tablet w/keyboard. It's sad to think about...I've used HPCs for almost 10 years, and I'm still amazed at how well they've held up and what they can do.
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-08-25 1:48 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The reason I am still holding on to this HPJ 720, is because I can still play a lot of Game & Watches games, also including some of theolder (and slower)) games like battle city, asteroids, R-type, and even Xonix. Most of all, I do my stories in both English and Chinese, which is why I still like my Calligrapher handwriting as well CStar (with chinese handwriting too). Androids and iPhones or tablets or Windows , most of them couldn't come as close, in terms of usability when I am on the move. The is no way I can type as fast (in both English and ChineseL using touchscreen keyboards alone. Moreover, I hate to think that I have to change phones every 4 or 5 years due to the battery pack dying on me. With the HPJ 720, I can always rebuild the pack with new 18650 cells.
 Top of the page
roychanyl Page Icon Posted 2014-08-25 1:53 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

As you know those replacement lithium packs from China are downright lousy, (and they are famed for their tendency to explode!). Lithium 18650 cells are different, you can always buy from reputable names like Panasonic or Sony or Such.
That way I am happier and more convinced that the HPC is gonna outdo many generations of smartphones, in terms of battery replacement.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2014-08-29 2:38 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Mine (several different types) are currently boxed... Until I have a nice display area somewhere in the house.
And 200LX´s ? I am still selling those worldwide (off and on). I can still take a few holiday's yearly from my 200LX sales -(some 40 left..).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13