x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows Phone 8.1 Question

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-09-12 2:05 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I was just at the Microsoft web store...I saw this deal:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.304223000?srccode=cii_328768002&cpncode=27-357061524-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Bing

It's a Nokia Lumia 635 for $99, no contract. Does this mean that I have no obligation to open up an AT&T cellphone contract? And, can Windows Phone phones be used as pocket pcs without activating phone service, just using WiFi, as Android phones can? This would then be a great deal on what would essentially be a new ultramodern pocket pc!

Chuck
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2014-09-12 8:48 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, it does say "no contract"!

It sure does become ultramodern pocket pc, doesn't it.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2014-09-12 9:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

For a number of reasons modern phones can't give the PocketPC expirience -
they have no physical buttons which can be reassigned to any function in any application (which can do it),
the elements of the interface are ridiculously big,
the amount of information is quite limited (pocketPC with VGA screen could display a whole lot of knobs, checkboxes and textfields concurrently, it is almost impossible with modern technology - except with DPI altering on Android but I am sceptical about that),
there is no no-delay drag'n'drop and text selection, you should always wait a bit till the system registers your touch as dragging and not scrolling - this is the consequence of negaetion of scrollbars (which could be easily replaced by side dial),
my HP 214 can still switch to any running application faster than any modern mobile device - one press of side button to launch AltTab and one press of stylus to select the application.

Decadence.

Edited by Alt Bass 2014-09-12 9:25 AM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-09-15 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Or you could find yourself a used HTC HD2, probably the greatest Windows Mobile device ever made.
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-09-15 8:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Alt Bass - 2014-09-12 3:25 AM

For a number of reasons modern phones can't give the PocketPC expirience -
they have no physical buttons which can be reassigned to any function in any application (which can do it),
the elements of the interface are ridiculously big,
the amount of information is quite limited (pocketPC with VGA screen could display a whole lot of knobs, checkboxes and textfields concurrently, it is almost impossible with modern technology - except with DPI altering on Android but I am sceptical about that),
there is no no-delay drag'n'drop and text selection, you should always wait a bit till the system registers your touch as dragging and not scrolling - this is the consequence of negaetion of scrollbars (which could be easily replaced by side dial),
my HP 214 can still switch to any running application faster than any modern mobile device - one press of side button to launch AltTab and one press of stylus to select the application.

Decadence.

All very good points, thanks for this info. I still think that Windows Phone would be very interesting to explore.

Chuck
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-09-15 8:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Paspie - 2014-09-15 1:23 PM

Or you could find yourself a used HTC HD2, probably the greatest Windows Mobile device ever made.

Thanks for this tip, I'll definitely have a look at the HD2!

Chuck
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2014-09-15 11:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Paspie - 2014-09-15 1:23 PM

WHOA...I checked out the HD2...beautiful...there's one in my future!

Chuck
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.141 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8