x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Good Bye CE - Hello Microsoft Mobile

takwu Page Icon Posted 2014-10-21 6:51 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Long time no post.

Those of you who remember me might also remember I was using a Samsung Focus, running Windows Phone 7.8 - the last consumer OS based on CE.

This past weekend I finally replaced my last daily "CE" device with a new Nokia Lumia 830, running Windows Phone 8.1 based on the Windows 8 Kernel.

So what's "Microsoft Mobile"? As you might know Microsoft acquired Nokia cellphone business, which became Microsoft Mobile. And although my phone is branded Nokia, if you take off the back plate there is a clear marking this is a Microsoft Mobile device. I don't know for sure but this might be one of the first released devices with this marking.

Migration from WP 7.8 to 8.1 is predictably natural - most of my apps also runs, so I just need to re-download.

Perhaps the real reason for moving from CE to NT is the support for modern hardware. Elephant of the room for me is multi-core. Although my brand new phone is not top spec for today's standard, it still sports a 1.2 ghz quad core, 1 GB ram and 16 GB built-in storage - probably impossible for CE to handle.

Display is 5 inch at 1280x720. Big enough and small enough ??

Battery lasts me whole day no matter what. 10 mp camera with OIS. This really is more than I need.

App collection not bad - much more than WP7, and although less than AND or iOS, it's enough that I don't feel left out.

Overall very happy with the replacement. And finally, I am truly completely done with CE...
That's it for now. See ya!
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2014-10-22 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey tak! After reading your post I did a quick search and came across this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2836600/microsoft-officially-lays-no...
Apparently they are dropping the Nokia name altogether. That is news to me...I have not really kept up with who owns who...anyway, good to see you again!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-10-22 1:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is a nice looking phone to be sure... I wonder is there is a head-to-head in depth comparison of Android, v.s. iPhone v.s. Windows....
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-10-26 9:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

There's probably as many people who are disappointed about Symbian's demise as there are about Windows Mobile/CE's demise. Microsoft Mobile seems like an unhappy marriage of both ecosystems to me, I know some people like Windows Phones but the politics makes them unattractive to me.

Fortunately for Nokia they had another open-source OS on the horizon, Maemo/MeeGo. During the layoffs some of their old engineers formed Jolla Oy, and today they sell a phone that uses a development of that platform: Sailfish OS. I have it and would never return to Android or iPhone, despite the hardware deficiences (qHD display in particular).

The designs of the entire Lumia range are a development of the Nokia N9, their last MeeGo handset that came a few months before the Lumia versions. There's a rumour around that despite the limited availability and the dead-end platform, that the N9 sold more than all of the first-gen Lumia range combined, which goes to show how misaligned Nokia was back then.

Edited by Paspie 2014-10-26 9:50 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 8