x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Best video player for Jornada 720

Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-11-19 11:04 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

I have a beautiful little media center set up at home, and I thought it would be fun to make part of the videos available on my Jornada 720 too!
Since I never really tried any of them, what's the best video player for the Jornada 720, considering I can re-encode my files into pretty much any format with ffmpeg.

My second question: what are the best settings for encoding video for the Jornada, as in codec, bitrate and framerate?

And my third question, what would be the best way to make videos available? I could try somehow making a samba share available for my Jornada, or are there any other options of playing videos over network?

thanks!
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-11-20 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

For the first question, the best video player there was was TCPMP, available in the Downloads section. Also, GAPI allows direct memory access that dramatically improves performance, so it would be worthwhile to get both working.

As for codecs, I would think an uncompressed AVI would be the best option as that would require the least processor overhead. Big files though. From the codecs list the one you would want is 'rawvideo'. As it's uncompressed, bitrates are not an issue. There's no point picking a resolution any higher than 512x288 as the J720 screen is only 240 pixels in height. You may as well leave the framerate the same as the source, ffmpeg will do that automatically.

For the audio stuff:
-acodec pcm_s16le -ar 44100
If you have any surround sound stuff, you can use this...
-ac 2 -af "aresample=matrix_encoding=dplii"

...to mix them down to stereo.

Edited by Paspie 2014-11-20 7:28 PM
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2014-11-21 7:17 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The newer TCPMP Called CorePlayer is also pretty good if you can find it. Unlike TCPMP, it isn't free or open source so you may need to do some digging or buy it if you even still can.

There is also the generic CEplayer.exe with codecs from Platform Builder. It plays wmvs, mpeg, quicktime and a few other formats. There was a .cab from the PC E-Phone floating around a few years back. I think it may still be on cmonex's site. It even has an IE plugin.

In addition to this, there was an extremely rare beta of "Windows Media Player for Pocket PC" that is very similar to the above with SH3 and MIPS versions. I found this on archive.org after lots of digging. This is not to be confused with the actual Windows Media Player 7/8/9/10 for Pocket PC as this is more or less just the Platform Builder CEPLAYER with a Pocket PC menu.

I also recently obtained a copy of Platform Builder 3.0 so I may be able to build a better CEPLAYER/codecs package with that.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-11-21 8:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe you'll share the link where you ultimately found it (I'm guessing a Russian site as lots of stuff seems to be turning up there). Is it WMP 9? (I've been looking for a working MIPS version of this for my two CE 5 MIPS PMPs.)
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-11-21 3:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the answers, I'll try TCPMP with GAPI for now
If I find any amazing ffmpeg settings, I'll post them here!
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-11-24 9:26 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Wow, I just tried TCPMP on my Jornada 820, and even there it works (the Readme just says it's untested on HPC Pro).
It crashed when I tried playing an mp3 file, but plays mpeg video slow but fine and even streams internet radio, woo!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2014-11-25 8:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's far from untested on H/PC Pro, but you lose the full GAPI support, so you have to settle for GDI.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-11-25 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Karpour - 2014-11-24 9:26 PM

Wow, I just tried TCPMP on my Jornada 820...
According to your profile you don't have one.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2014-11-25 2:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Oh no! It's fixed now

I also entered my latest piece of my collection, a Casio Cassiopeia PA-2400U "Internet Tablet" running CE2.0, pretty neat thing!

[Edit] Hey, your profile also seems incomplete, unless you got rid of your J720

Edited by Karpour 2014-11-25 2:51 PM
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-11-27 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yup, the J720 and the HC-4500 were ridden of, my Ericsson MC16 remains as a 'museum piece'.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-11-28 2:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Paspie...ridden of? Did you mean "written off?"
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-11-28 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sold off, I'm sure I advertised them in the 'bay forum.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2014-11-28 1:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Still, both are fine machines...but your Ericcson is still a greater rarity.
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2014-11-28 11:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Nah, they weren't the finest examples...back in late 2008 I had an opportunity to get hold of an MP900C, back then it wasn't antiquated yet and my dad was behind it. Unfortunately the auction ran into the many hundreds of £ and I had to call it quits. Then the seller relisted it but I never found out until it was too late...

The Ericsson otoh, had been in my possession from a very young age, I remember having had the original box but over the years the surviving documentation has been reduced to the CE manual, device manual and software disc. I've kept various other bits from the craze like wlan cards, pc card adapters and cf cards, maybe I'll find a use for them at some point.

Nowadays I have no interest in acquiring HPC hardware, and very little interest in outdated computer tech generally.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.195 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10