x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 690: Manually installing Wi-Fi drivers via CompactFlash?

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-01-22 8:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll always recommend the ORiNOCO card under the Agere or Lucent (not Proxim) brand name. They're still out there cheap, and I've had my best results with them.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-23 1:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I think I might agree...the Orinoco Silver was my first card...it worked with every HPC I had. But you have to be careful to get the Lucent card with the Agere chipset. The newer ones (Proxim), or the ones with the gold colored edge connector don't work with HPCs.

You know the original wifi cards that HP sold for their Jornada were the Orinoco Silver cards...with an HP label on the front and the standard Lucent label on the back. And I think the 720 Jornadas already had the drivers are part of the OS.

BTW, the difference between the gold and silver is the gold supports 126bit encryption while the silver is 64bit encryption.

Does anyone even use 128bit WEP anymore since the advent of WPA?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-01-23 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I do, and I know it's stupid. But if I want to use my J720 or CE2.0 device for internet, then WEP 128 is the only way.

Luckily, I have Comcast, which means I can barely get a signal in my own house, let alone somebody war-driving on the street.

I know my neighbors and don't believe they know how to crack, and I don't believe they would if they could.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-03 7:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Okay...update time. I decided to get a J690 because of the hell Mister Agent had getting his Cisco 350 to work on his J690. Sure enough, I suffered the same fate he did...all the drivers on HPCFactor under the Cisco 350 simply do not work with SH3 CE2.11.

And there is a reason why...because Cisco didn't initially include them in their software.

However, they later made things right and you can log onto the Cisco website and download all the CE drivers for CE2.11 which now do work with HPCs, including the Jornada 680 and 690.

In the attached pictures you will see that I have tested 4 Cisco 350 Aironet cards on my J690, and they all work fine...albeit I did have to update the firmware on two of the cards...which is easy to do since part of the CE install is a utility to update firmware. HPCFactor looks weird in this old version of IE.

Anyways, to make it even easier, I have included the proper CAB file for you guys to the HCL.

BTW, There is a separate program to enter your 64/128bit WEP key called Client Encryption Manager. After the CAB installation, you will see it on your desktop. The password to enter that is Cisco and it is case sensitive. Afterwards you can change the password if you want.

(690-1.jpg)

(690-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 690-1.jpg (327KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 690-2.jpg (141KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-02-03 10:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Aren't these in the HCL? -_- they should be in the HCL not in the fourm -_-
 Top of the page
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2015-02-03 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Wasn't the image size rule 640x240 precisely so that HPC: Factor could be viewed on screens that small?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-04 1:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Added to HCL...
 Top of the page
Mister_Argent Page Icon Posted 2015-02-05 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

So, here's a quick update: Looks like my Orinoco Gold's gotten here today! Gonna be taking 'er for a spin... might also do the additional setup for the Aeronet too, since I've got the chance. Here goes...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-06 12:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

For the Aironet, download v2.23
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 3:26 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Jake - 2015-01-23 12:55 PM

I do, and I know it's stupid. But if I want to use my J720 or CE2.0 device for internet, then WEP 128 is the only way.

My solution for this was to buy an old WEP wifi router at the thrift shop ($1).

I have it attached by cable to my main router, and only turn it on when I feel like playing with one of the old toys. That way, I'm not running WEP all the time...

I agree with the comments about Lucent cards. I have a WaveLan Gold and it works with absolutely every PCMCIA-equipped device I have.

Edited by Mobi 2015-02-07 3:29 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 1:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I used to do that too Mobi...just an open access point when I needed it. And you only need an old one that runs 802.11B. Really cheap, normally less than $10.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10