x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

How cheap is cheap

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-27 1:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's the cpu I'm putting in it...I already had it sitting in an envelope... P4, 800/1m. I'll just have to live with 2gb of ram...which will be fine for what I'm using it for...

I actually have an old Radeon 7500 video card I could plug into it. It has 256mb on it. I used to use it when I was working with video and my TV set. I'm not sure it would speed anything up over the built in video on the motherboard however since I'm won't really be using any graphic intensive apps on the machine...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-01-27 9:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

How can anyone live with 2GB RAM? I can't live with 64

At least with the external adapter you'll be able to get DirectX 9 support and offload the video from the main bus so removes one bottle neck.

If you want the XP updates file set from the donate to download section, let me know and I'll send it over.

Looking at the motherboard for it http://www.stuartconnections.com/2017-thickbox/Dell-Dimension-3000-... the CPU is a 478 not a 755! So it wouldn't take the CPU I linked to before. You'd need a 478 Northwood HT (which were better than the Prescott's anyway).
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-01-28 4:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

And I'm still crawling along with one gig on my PC.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-01-28 6:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

o.O when did the USA become the RAM 3rd world?

What do you need, DDR1, 2? Heaven forbid, SDR?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-28 6:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got the comp today...installed the P4 chip, running at 800mHz, 1mb cache, HT technology. Have 2gb of RAM in it...only has 2 slots, don't know if the AO3 bios update would support 4gb or not. Had both the 3.0 and 3.2gHz chip...but just used the 3.0 since I don't have a fan, only heatsink on the CPU. Nice new thermal paste.

Anyway, all is well and working great. Normal serial port on the back of the machine supports Mobilepro cable for ActiveSync as well as old cable for 360LX and other machines.

(mancave.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mancave.jpg (325KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-01-28 10:43 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You should install the latest BIOS if you haven't already, A03 adds new microcode / cpu support according to the doc's. Updating the microcode is never a bad idea http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357

Dell publish that it only supports 2gb... but they don't always tell the truth http://www.c-amie.co.uk/qlink/?id=53
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-01-29 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have a old Pentium D dell desktop just lying around as a door stop, i believe the ram is still in it but cant remember if it has 3 or 4gb.

I have 8gb in my current desktop wich is just fine, its a dell slimline insprion with a Pentium g645 and a Amd hd 7550 low profile card, then of course i have it hooked to the hp I mentioned earlier in the thread.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-01-29 8:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, there was some guesswork as to what chip came in the thing...hard to take photos of the chips...but here it is...you tell me what it was...

(pic1.jpg)

(pic2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pic1.jpg (208KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments pic2.jpg (135KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2015-01-29 8:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
If it had a Celeron D in there, it will support Pentium D - that is a dual core CPU, about 50% faster than a single core hyperthreading CPU.

Celeron D is single core, single threading, about as fast as a Pentium 4 2.6 533Mhz.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-01-30 12:50 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.312 - Cached queries : 23 - Executed queries : 57