x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Paianni Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It was never obvious to me before but I can see why some new users having a lil' trouble getting around the site. It's not clear without accessing the Downloads or Support pages to know where the HCL and SCL are, for example, and even then the assortment of links and page clutter can seem a bit daunting. Is there any way to clear it up so that the most relevant parts of the site are more easily accessible? Perhaps reuse the home page to introduce the site's tools and have the news somewhere else (it's rarely updated now anyway).
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 3:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You make a proposal and I'll consider it
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 4:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Perhaps a simple beginner's index page that shows where to find everything....
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 9:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Uh, I don't see any difficulty finding links to the SCL and HCL - they're clear as day on the upper right-hand side of the home page:

Compatible Software [SCL]
Compatible Hardware [HCL]

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-07 10:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah, but there are a lot of acronyms that noobs won't recognize....SCL for instance...most websites would just say "downloads" or "software." HCL is unique as well...and how many ever heard of a CESD before?

This is without a doubt the most comprehensive Windows CE website in the world...and it caters to experiences users and the hardware/software ignorant as well who are still in the learning curve.

I guess the real problem is that people don't take the time to learn the site before asking questions, or just want to be spoon fed.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-02-08 9:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It does say downloads, right at the top of the page on the right hand side and you can search the downloads section for any content regardless of whether it is in H/PC:U, HCL, SCL from that page or click into the systems.

As for acronym/initialism use, apart from when I post into the forum, nothing should just say "HCL" unless it has been qualified in full or as "Compatible Hardware" elsewhere around it.

If you want to see the site restructured, I'm OK with that Paspie, not a problem at all; but get your MS Paint out or a HTML editor and show us what you want to accomplish
Paianni Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 7:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Wrong thread?
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 8:21 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Why does someone post a sentence from a post I made long ago in a completely random thread?

Maybe a Spambot trying to look legit? I'm confuzzled.
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 8:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's what they do. I've deleted the post and blocked that "member."
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 8:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Karpour - 2015-04-06 8:21 PM

Why does someone post a sentence from a post I made long ago in a completely random thread?

Maybe a Spambot trying to look legit? I'm confuzzled.
They're trying to keep their post signature and attachment (which never made it past security) on the board in the hopes that it'll make them money. They aren't remotely interested in the post content. The SPAM that we do get - which is still extremely little considering how many thousands of automated bot attacks we get each day - over the last couple of years has been all about the signatures.

As the user registration and security on this board has been customised by me, the SPAMbot templates don't work so what we actually deal with are desperate people getting paid pennies by sad and pathetic crooks for each post they make.

... and on the subject of User Interface, no one ever came back with an idea *shrug*
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 8:57 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, C:Amie.
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8