x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Transferring files from Jornada 680 to Linux machines and/or an Ibook G4

KittyKat Page Icon Posted 2015-02-17 11:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm a little to the party (as always) as I just bought a Jornada 680 off Ebay without thinking it through. It was so dirt cheap I just had to have it. I recently started to gift myself to the gadgets I dreamed of when I was a teen...

As I'm waiting for the Jornada to arrive I started to do some reading. I know. It should've been the other way around. But the deed is done. Now I have the problem on how to transfer data from the device to any of my computers. Nothing fancy, just text files. I planning to use it as a digital diary. The device itself comes with no accessories at all and I'm bidding on a synch cable right now, but I can't be sure to get it.

- I own an Ibook G4 (OS X 10.4.11) which has built in IR, an Asus EEE PC 10?? with (Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS) which has not and

- have access to a openSUSE 13.2 machine which has a dongle.

The linux computers are the main machines I use but I'd be okay to use the Ibook if that's easier. I'm fully aware that synching (calendar, contacts etc) is out of question and is not a priority.

So, will IR work ? Or anything else? I'm open to any solution that will be applicable to as many computers I own/have access to as possible.

Thanks a million!

Edited by KittyKat 2015-02-17 11:23 AM
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2015-02-17 12:30 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
Take a (any) compact Flash card plus a cheap multi-card reader. Will set you back maybe 10 euri and then you can exchange data.
Michel
 Top of the page
KittyKat Page Icon Posted 2015-02-17 12:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks @michelbel
I was thinking about this as I have at least two readers who able to handle cf and even an old 64MB cf card. I was just thinking it would be a little inconvenient to have to take the card out each time. Also, I would love a wireless solution as my computers are already equipped with it...
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2015-02-17 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I did the same thing (exchanged CF cards). I never bothered to do it, but theoretically with the right wireless card (16-bit) PCMCIA or CF, you could connect in ad-hoc mode. You might have to manually set up with IP/subset addresses (they apparently have to be almost the same) and put your computer into the linux equivalent of sharing/ad-hoc mode also. The CF card thing made me think of floppies. . Keep in mind that unless your entries become *very* substantial, you're looking at a single entry being ten to low hundreds of kB (which is *alot* of text). Rule of thumb is 1 kB = 100 words (half page).

Edited by hmascience 2015-02-17 11:22 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-02-17 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Puppy Linux, if I'm remembering correctly, played nicely with IR. Should you have the dongle (which brand?), you could do a usb/sd install of Puppy Linux 4.3, get the IR up and running, then see if it plays w/ the 680.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10