x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Full TextMaker Available At Last For Android

Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-02-22 4:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
For those with an Android phone who have been suffering with the lightweight TextMaker Mobile, Softmaker has recently released Softmaker HD for tablets.

Within is the real TextMaker, with all the bells and whistles of the Windows CE/Mobile versions.

While it's ostensibly for tablets, I find it runs very well on the Samsung Galaxy S5. Perhaps a rule of thumb is a big screen on the phone. Because TM HD has all the viewing options, you can quickly gain a lot of screen real estate and comparing the amount of text on the screen, TM HD and TM Mobile seem pretty equal. It even prints wirelessly.

I have an x-86 Android ICS port that I run on my Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t, and obviously, TM HD looks great on a 10.1" screen.

Jake

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-02-22 6:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I've been using that version for a little over a month now...great program. I like how I can print directly from my tablet to the printer wirelessly. I'm using a Kindle Fire with the NA2 Android build.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-02-22 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Do you know Microsoft recently released free office for android phones ?

Edited by thcrw739 2015-02-22 8:09 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-02-22 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Exactly, which is why, I think, that Softmaker Mobile is also permanently free. Even TM Mobile is better than Office Mobile, if only because TM Mobile has better converters, especially .rtf

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-02-23 2:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Here's the obscurest of tips: getting Abiword documents to work properly on your Android phone.

Working with an MS Word .doc in Abiword results in Abiword saving the document in .rtf, even though Abiword keeps the .doc appellation.

This .rtf in disguise presents problems for many word processors on Android, even MS Office Mobile. The file appears corrupted. The workaround (other than using a MS Word app on a genuine desktop as a conduit to open and resave in true .doc):

Open the Abiword .doc in TM Mobile or TM HD, save in .doc (even this resaving won't allow the file to be opened in QuickOffice and others)

Open the file in Polaris Office 5 (which is free). Save in .doc

Now the file opens as a genuine .doc in every Android word processor to my knowledge. Clearly, there's trouble with Abiword's .rtf format, and while TM can open, edit, and save, the doc still has converter residue that clogs other Android word processors.

I *told* you it was obscure

Jake
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.155 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9