x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

FA (ebay) Multiple Jornada 728s

PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2015-04-05 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I was surprised to see this many units in a single auction. None of them have batteries, so they're being sold as-is, but some of them may work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Hewlett-Packard-Jornada-728-serie...
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-05 10:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Wow, it is indeed rare to find a J728! But yeah, paying lots of money, needing to get batteries, expensive shipping, etc.. makes it a bit uninteresting to me sadly.
Hopefully I will get a J728 sometime though, I'd love to have a rather complete HP collection!
Looking into getting a 320LX soon, then I'll have 320LX - 620LX - Jornada 820 - Jornada 720. (360LX and 660LX are just software upgrades anyway, and 680LX is also pretty similar to 720)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-05 3:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't know...lots of difference between HPC2000 and HPC Professional...also the 720 is ARM rather than SH3 like the older Jornadas...another big difference when it comes to software availability...

The best part is even though all the devices are broken or faulty, the ROM boards would fit into any 720 essentially turning them into a 728...a 2-minute swap job. And 728 ROMs are hard to find.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-05 7:37 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Great idea!

I hope someone buys the whole lot and does that! I'd absolutely take a ROM board and upgrade my Jornada!

Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 9:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Rich, if you swap out the ROM, are you also getting 64mbs RAM? Or is that a different component?

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 11:05 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

All the same board...and actually isn't that really the only difference between the 720 and 728? More memory I mean? Same as the 680 versus the 690 models...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-04-06 11:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

You know, you're right. I got fixated on the rom vs ram thing. Though, doesn't the J728 have an odd app or two (missing in the J720)? Given my memory troubles, I'm obviously not the guy to ask

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 1:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No, not really...they are about the same. PIE 4.0 versus PIE 4.0.1...insignificant changes there. No other application differences. The 728 came with a higher capacity battery I believe...again, another "so what."

The bigger memory makes for better buffering when web cruising...that is the biggest advantage that I see. Also I liked the silver colored top rather than the old blue or purple one (I could never tell).
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I had no idea the ROMs were so easily replaceable.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 5:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah, just remove a couple screws, lift the keyboard, and swap out the ram boards....gets no easier than that.
 Top of the page
isotherm Page Icon Posted 2015-04-07 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elite

What's interesting is that about half appear to be ABB units. This international English keyboard was sought after for those who preferred all of the keys to be the same width (rather than the wider letters of ABA).
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2015-04-08 2:30 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

My first J720 was the internat'l version, bought in Slovenia, $820usd. Went back and forth numerous times with the nice fellow who was selling the keyboard skins. He kept sending the US version and wondering why it didn't fit

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-04-08 4:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The winning (only) bidder got them for less than I paid for one 728 back in 2006. ('Course, mine did include the battery. )

You have sharper vision than I do, isotherm. I couldn't tell the difference between any of the keyboards (other than the one way in the back, whose keyboard I can't make out at all).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10