x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Idea: Serial WiFi Stick

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 5:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Once they get through the WEP they have full access to the network; wired or wireless UNLESS you have a LAN router and a hardware firewall running (making it two networks) [which you won't]
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 6:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

C:Amie - 2015-04-12 4:38 AM

Actually CE1 doesn't have a fully implemented TCP/IP stack, so what it doesn't support is NDIS i.e. a driver model for network adapters. Apart from that it could support anything WEP needed if it was coded in C++ 5.

How does that actually work? Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding for DialUp internet is: HPC tells the modem to dial a number of an ISP, everything else is raw IP traffic, so the TCP/IP stack would have to be implemented on the HPC?
Can you explain that further?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 7:48 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Dial-up is a point to point link technology, beneath the physical layer CE1 didn't have support for NDIS, couldn't support routing properly. CE2 added nearly the full Windows NT IP Stack and what we named the NSP adds the Layer 5 /6 services from Microsoft plus NDIS driver support in addition to point-to-point DUN services.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-13 1:17 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Okay I get it now... I think... Please bear with me as my knowledge used to end at TCP/IP

Anyway, so I assume Windows CE 1.0 talked to the ISP with PPP?

So how about this: The WiFi Module that is attached to the HPC emulates a Hayes-compatible modem, then tunnels the whole traffic to my server, where I install a PPP emulator (Slirp) and connect it to that, basically simulating an ISP (except lacking the ability for incoming connections, but that's not important)

So it would be:

HPC ----- (Rs232 link) ------ magical WiFi module ------- (WiFi link) --------- Server ----- (local link) ------ Slirp ----- The Interwebs
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-13 8:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If your magic WiFi module is handling the driver interface then it surely isn't necessary for CE1? CE1 sees the P2P link and sends 100% of traffic down it, the rest is up to the Wifi chip or did I misunderstand the capabilities of your Wifi module?
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2015-04-13 10:19 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

The WiFi module has a full TCP/IP stack implemented and is basically a full embedded system, also contains an UART.
So what the WiFi module would do is tunnel the traffic from the WinCE device over a TCP stream to my server running the PPP emulator, so for the WinCE device it should be no different than connecting to an actual DialUp ISP, right?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 6:25 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If the chip has a full TCP/IP stack CE will create a serial connection to the chip that is an IP Addressed PPP link (e.g. an ActiveSync link which is a PPP link with IP running over it) and that's the end of it, no TUNs, TAPs, Protocols or Emulation
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8