x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Here's a weird one, maybe someone can help? networking

thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-10 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

My pc is connected to my network with a Ethernet cable to my main router, it has the name LESTAT, I also for wireless extending purposes have a wireless extender in a different part of the house connected to my main router wireless wise, it has a name but LESTAT_almond . same wireless keys of course but totally diffent ip's

For the life of me i cant figure out why my computer says im connected to the extender threw Ethernet i have rebooted, deactivated, rebooted etc. no change.

I dont see any problems yet, but there might be a conflict somewhere and i dont understand.... Anyone give me an idea whats going on?

Edited by thcrw739 2015-04-10 8:14 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-11 8:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So you have a wireless card in your pc? You must have for it to have found the extender. Turn it off, or unplug it and see what happens.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 9:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

When you say the "computer says", what do you mean?

WiFi Extenders are Layer 1 devices, they aren't routers at least in my experience
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

When i look at the network connections on the computer it shows the wireless ap's i have a choice in connecting too if i were to use the built in wifi, Then above those it shows my Ethernet connection, which according to my computer is named LESTAT_almond (which is the name of my extender connected to my main router via wireless, when it should be LESAT which is my main router connected to my cable modem broadcasting the signal my extender is using and which my computer is connected to via Ethernet cable.

Have never connected to LESTAT_almond wireless at all just LESTAT to test the wifi card to make sure it was working properly.

Wifi is turned off, disabled Ethernet as well then re enabled still the same, took almond offline, still the same, etc etc, It doesn't seem to be causing connection issues, just a name conflict i would like to resolve or at least understand why its doing it as i've never heard of or seen anything like it.

Edited by thcrw739 2015-04-12 7:34 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 7:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's NLA, it's created a profile for your network based upon appliances it's found and is just showing you that you are on your home network. You can rename them in Vista/7 in Network & Sharing centre or in powershell in 8. It hasn't got anything to do with SSID if it is in the networks section.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-12 10:28 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Chris....

Just for the heck of it i put the old drive back in the pc which i haven't formatted & still has windows 8.1 etc on it... and it showed LESTAT as the ssid the Ethernet was running on as i remembered it did before i changed it out the ssd drive.... put the ssd back in and of course almond is still there.

its not a big deal it's just weird as i have never seen anything like it except my wife's pc (my former, also running 8.1) calls LESTAT, Network_2 assuming since she also has a wireless card in it as well. I get what your saying though but you would think it would show the default ssid.

Edited by thcrw739 2015-04-12 10:30 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-13 9:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Unless we are talking at cross purposes: Network Location Awareness (NLA) has nothing to do with Wireless SSID's. Windows stores a list of key hosts that it finds on the network - router, DNS Server, DHCP Server - in a database. When you jack it in Windows uses the database to try and work out if it just connected to Home, Office or Other.

You can change the name of the NLA thusly on Windows 7/Vista:

(nla.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nla.jpg (63KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

To put it simply it was pretty much just the confusion of windows giving my PC, Ethernet wise the name of my wireless extender instead of my main router especially since it had never even been connected to that extender... With what you said, I searched around and found that i could change it but it's not necessary & a bit more complicated in windows 8.1 ... I just didn't understand why it named it after the extender, & was worried about conflicts, but as i'm understanding in this case a name is just a name.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 7:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is just that; and it has nothing to do with connecting to the extended, it's just the extender was present when it was initially named I suspect.

As you've noted, they made the feature less functional in Win8 (just like everything else then)
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-19 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the help by the way
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-20 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No worries, the NLA functionality can be a real pain in the neck sometimes, especially in server land. By making it worse in Win8 they made it worse in Server 2012 and as a result you are forced to resort to powershell after wasting hours of time fighting problems caused by NLA deciding to change profile
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9