x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Have you ever??? YOU WILL

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-04-13 11:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a smart watch... and today I remembered an old set of commercials that I saw about 20 something years ago... All I really remembered about them was Tom Sellock, and a smartwatch. After a quick search, I came across this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MnQ8EkwXJ0 it is actually amazing what they predicted in a way 23 years ago... By the way, I will give a review of my new toy when it arrives...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 2:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, most of those are commonplace these days...but it wasn't AT&T that did it was it?

I've had the Fossil Abacus and a Swatch which I loved. Casio PC-Unite I still own which I used to put my class notes on for a quick review before tests. The Swatch was the best of them all however as it had the best screen, albeit b&w. But it was cool to get emails on it from my wife saying something like, "pick up a quart of milk before you come home."

Then I had an MP3 wristwatch what was nice, cause I could easily type everything in .txt format and it was easier to read than the PC-Unite, but it was a little more bulky.

These new ones look really cool and are powerful...but still require you to have a smartphone with you which I don't use except when I travel.

Await your review and thoughts after you've had it a while....
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 5:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2015-04-14 5:48 PM

These new ones look really cool and are powerful...but still require you to have a smartphone with you

Aren't there any standalone alternatives? I heard about them.

Edited by Alt Bass 2015-04-14 5:34 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 6:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice ad's; shame that all carriers are interested in is in fighting and the suppression of radical potential rather than innovation and development.

As for smart watches; meh. Not likely.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-04-14 7:09 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Actually the watch I am getting can function as a stand alone phone. There is a space for a sim card and expanded memory. It even has a camera for photos or video.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2015-04-15 8:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I have a lg G watch & a original Pebble, I use the pebble a lot more. I'm planning on getting the new Pebble color & selling the LG which i got for Christmas, I do volunteering for a local nature preserve and the lg does not work well for outside use at all, I CANT FIGURE OUT IN THIS DAY & AGE WHY THEY WENT FOR A REGULAR IPS LCD, My mistake.

I cant remember the name of it right now but back in the early 2000's i had one of those pager watches that came with free service.

Edited by thcrw739 2015-04-15 8:02 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2015-04-20 6:12 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Okay, quick rundown of the watch. It is called the Otium Gear S, currently on sale for $76 on Amazon (labeled LaFun) I have had this for about a week now and I really like it so far. It is a good size and responds quickly. This watch has a camera that can also take video. There is also a function that allows remote photo taking from your phone camera. The watch can receive text/email messages, and you can also respond. You can make and receive phone calls and talk through watches speaker. Call quality is pretty good if there are no background noises. I have not tried it yes, but you can put a SIM card in it and use it as a standalone phone. It has a pedometer that works well. There is a sleep monitor, alarm clock that vibrates a reminder if you walk away from your phone, radio, MP3 player, photo viewer, calculator, sound recorder and others. It also works well with a Bluetooth headset and you can switch to normal phone anytime. It does not feel too bulky and a great weight. Because I was using it so much the first day, I had to recharge it the next day, however; I have not had to charge it again since. I recommend this to anyone wanting to explore smartwatch options for a decent price. Here is the link.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-04-20 6:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Very cool...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 8