x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Just bought a Jornada 720 and made a website about it

1 2
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 2:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I just bought a Jornada 720 and I was bored this evening, so I made a website about my journey to getting it up and running. I hope you like it. Link is below.
I created this website in Wordpress using the Accelerate theme and hosted it for free on 000webhost.com.
Jornada720

Regards,

Greg

Edited by greghodson 2015-05-29 2:47 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 3:26 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nice. Welcome to the club... I won't break the news to you exactly what kind of club, but the scavenging through boxes and second-hand stores will give you an idea. ;-)

jt
 Top of the page
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 8:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like my type of people.
 Top of the page
lotec Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 10:22 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Welcome to HPC Factor! Thank you for sharing your J720 journey.

That is a good website, one of the best J720 sites that have appeared since the past decade. Hope to see more updates.

See you around the forum,
lotec

Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 5:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nice site! Question: are you able to sync PIM information with your Win7 PC? Or just connect and view files?
 Top of the page
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-05-29 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Thank you for all your nice comments about my website.

Presently when I run Windows Mobile Device Centre I can sync files and import pictures and videos. However the boxes to sync tasks, contacts and calendars are greyed out and when I browse over them it says that outlook has not been installed. This is in fact the case, I have a 3rd party mail client installed on my PC called eM Client and I assume if I install 64bit MS Outlook I will be able to do this as well. Although there are a lot of people online who seem to be having trouble with this. I am able to browse to the device through Windows Explorer as well.

Greg
 Top of the page
MontyOnTheRun Page Icon Posted 2015-06-07 2:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello there!
Just purchased a Jornada 720 as well (mine will arrive this monday).

It's great to be back!
I used to get around here back in ~2005-2007 (sorry, I dont even remember my username), since I had a Cassiopeia A-11 (wonderful machine). When it died, I got myself a iPaq3650 and finally a Dell Axim x50V (since I got myself into OpenGL ES development).

Since then, I've worked (and still do) with professional Android and iOS development - but I still have some love for this form-factor.
Currently, I carry around netbooks (I was on the first wave and still own my EeePC 2G Surf), but those are not as practical as a HPC.
My plan is to install jLime and use it as a smaller workstation.

BTW, greghodson - great collection of apps! Will certainly make use it!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-06-07 9:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Cool Website.

I like your design of the website and your pics of Jornada 720. I'm hoping to get one someday too for some time.
I also like the NEC 8201a notebook computer . I'm too young to be in the know about these notebook computer, (I'm born in 1989) but I like retro PCs and calculators.
 Top of the page
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-06-08 9:30 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Jlime sounds interesting, I haven't seen this before. Are you then able to install standard Linux apps?

Greg
 Top of the page
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-06-08 9:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you Stingraze.

Yes I am a fan of retro pc's, consoles and calculators as well.

I know from watching Youtube user Lukemorse1 there are a lot of retro consoles for sale in Japan, but what about retro pc's? Are there a lot available?

Greg
 Top of the page
MontyOnTheRun Page Icon Posted 2015-06-09 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

greghodson - 2015-06-09 5:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

Jlime sounds interesting, I haven't seen this before. Are you then able to install standard Linux apps?

Greg

Kind of.
The Jornada has a StrongARM (ARMv4) processor, and that's wildly different from a regular PC. You might get most apps running if you recompile said apps.

Other option is running Debian, since it provides a repository of pre-compiled apps in a very transparent fashion. In fact, you would barely notice the processor difference.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-06-09 10:11 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

greghodson - 2015-06-08 6:40 PM

Thank you Stingraze.

Yes I am a fan of retro pc's, consoles and calculators as well.

I know from watching Youtube user Lukemorse1 there are a lot of retro consoles for sale in Japan, but what about retro pc's? Are there a lot available?

Greg

Yes, in Akihabara and Yahoo Auction Japan, there are tons of retro PCs.
In Akihabara though, it is getting a little fewer to find the real nice retro ones as the city is transformed into a smartphone accessory shop place and anime and etc.
I like to win stuff from the Yahoo Auction Japan.

Edited by stingraze 2015-06-09 10:15 AM
 Top of the page
greghodson Page Icon Posted 2015-06-12 2:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi Stingraze.

I've just looked at the Yahoo Auctions Japan website and it is awesome, there is tons of stuff for sale on there, I am very jealous.

Greg
 Top of the page
MontyOnTheRun Page Icon Posted 2015-06-13 2:18 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh well... I'm having a really hard time looking for a 16 bit PCMCIA Ethernet. Most people I talk to in the stores don't even know what it is anymore.
Fortunately, I managed to find a Compact Flash adapter (mine was busted) and I'm happily running Debian (2.6 kernel). Gonna try a 2.4 kernel, so I can try to "suspend".

TCP/IP-over-IrDA, it seems, is out of question. I REALLY need to do some apt-get.

EDIT: In the old days of my Cassiopeia A-11, I remember getting it online by using a special Windows app, thus making it a Windows <-> WinCE setup. Now I have a Linux/OSX<->Linux setup. And I know the PPP protocol used by Windows is slightly different.

Edited by MontyOnTheRun 2015-06-13 2:23 AM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2015-06-19 9:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Congrats on a great machine!

I remember in a few of my old Pen Computing magazines there are pictures of Japan in the late 90's and early 00's. I was always stunned with the sheer abundance of handhelds on sale. It was a HPC lovers dream!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12