x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-01 9:14 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nova5000EX-FOURIER-WINDOWS-CE-PRO-5-0-VER-C...

This is a terrific deal, even with a questionable battery. (I have several in the standard white/yellow and white/blue color combos, and the battery packs look like they're pretty easy to rebuild.) Really cool black color with white trim, too. This is a really nice device to have for anyone who's into CE devices like we are. Even I couldn't resist picking up one of these.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-08-01 10:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No infrared? Too bad, would have made a great universal remote...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-01 7:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The seller also has several with the Nova keyboard and mouse included plus the stylus and AC adapter (though for a lot more for the bundle), as well as several parts, including battery packs for 18 USD including shipping. (Best offer is available on all items.)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-06 9:10 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Mine arrived today. Looks to be in near-new condition, with just one scuff. Battery holding a good charge. This is a newer model that has both CF and SD slots (though it doesn't support SDHC). The seller was very friendly and took very good care of me. I highly recommend anyone else interested in checking out the Nova 5000 to check into this seller's stock.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2015-08-06 2:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

So what do you use them for? I have to admit that I'd like to actually use them to collect data in a secondary school science lab. Any hints?

Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2015-08-06 8:30 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I didn't realize, but it looks like Fourier is still selling the Nova - at least it's still on their website. http://fourieredu.com/store/products/nova5000-data-logger/#.VcO0mE3...

It's designed to be a portable science lab that kids can use in and out of the classroom. The website says it comes with Softmaker office installed; does yours have that as well, Gregg?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-07 5:44 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'm pretty sure it's no longer in production. Fourier subsequently came out with a Nova 6000 that sported a new look and ran Android 2.3:

http://fourieredu.com/fwp/wp-content/uploads/Nova6000-V4_digital1.p...

No, Mark, none of the Nova 5000EXs that I have (a total of 14 now) has a SoftMaker Office license. But I can use any one of a number of Notepad clones, as well as WordPad, for word processing.

The data sensors are hard to find, and usually expensive when you can find one, so haven't tried that yet. I'm mostly a tinkerer, but the device is good for word processing (the keyboards offered by this seller are full-size and run on three AAA cells, as opposed to the older Nova mini-keyboard that had about 2/3-size keys and was powered entirely through the USB cable; even better is to use a wireless keyboard), viewing PIM data on a large screen (recall that this device was the one on which I first successfully created synchronizable PIM databases where they had not existed before), playing games, or just plain doodling (I like the larger screens for drawing programs, and the stand means not having to hold the device in one hand).
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-08-08 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

hmascience - 2015-08-06 11:27 PM

So what do you use them for? I have to admit that I'd like to actually use them to collect data in a secondary school science lab. Any hints?

Seems like you can connect these sensors to it to analyze and do science experiments.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-08-08 3:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

CEGeek...you have 14 of them? Do the letters OCD mean anything to you?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-08 6:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

OCD = One Clever Dude

The vast majority were part of a lot I got cheap on eBay that all turned out to work fine. Anyone interested can talk to me about buying one or more of these, but the ones in the above eBay auction are even cooler.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-08-09 8:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Well, I looked at them again, but just can't figure out why I need one...

And I looked at eBay once more as well and found something interesting. The eBay item title is this:

7inch-HD-Car-GPS-Navigation-Windows-CE-6-0-128M-4GB-USB-Flash-FM-Game-Video-Play

It is just your typical 7 inch Windows CE 6.0 GPS, but what I found interesting about it was that it has a capacitive screen. You don't see that often with CE GPS units. If it had built in WIFI, then it might have been near perfect.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-08-10 8:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Does it really have one, or does the seller have the wrong specs? (I've seen that before.)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-08-10 2:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yeah, me too. Well I sent him a message asking them to verify the screen was capacitive, so I guess I'll see. If it does...I might buy it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-08-11 12:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got a reply this morning...here it is:

Dear mymobilepro,

Screen Size: 7 inch capacitive screen
yes friend
is capacitive screen, new design for CE 6.0

have a nice day

-vigorouspart555
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-14 7:54 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Got it in the mail today....wrong specs...resistive touch screen....

Now I'm pissed off!
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 28