x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-03 9:16 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, the other day I went to the famous Akihabara in Tokyo to buy two Raspberry Pi 2 Model B boards to start my little cluster.

Today, I received two cases with fans from amazon.co.jp that I can stack together. I am learning the basics of high performance computing / parallel computing with these Raspberry Pi 2s and with another SBC called Parallella which is a supercomputer (in terms GFlops per Watt). When I can afford it, I am planning to add more nodes to the cluster.

I remember some time back when I asked "what will you do if you had a supercomputer in your house" and that is turning into a (small) reality!
One idea I want to do is to program a browser that offloads heavy rendering to the cluster like Silk browser from Amazon.

Edited by stingraze 2015-09-03 9:19 AM

(raspberrypi2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments raspberrypi2.jpg (94KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-03 1:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Way beyond me...

However, if I had a super computer, I would like to have one that could write applications based on my description. For instance, I could tell the computer to write a driver for a specific 802.11N wifi stick that would run on my 900C, or maybe describe a lunar lander type game and it would produce it in a final executable.

Maybe a computer that could log itself onto the internet and teach itself how to program itself and develop an artificial intelligence....which is what my wife already has....artificial intelligence...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 12:25 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Rich Hawley - 2015-09-03 10:51 PM
Maybe a computer that could log itself onto the internet and teach itself how to program itself and develop an artificial intelligence....

Yeah, that will be totally cool.

I watched the movie, Transcendence starring Johnny Depp and there was the A.I. connecting to internet. It was analyzing and getting loads of money trading stock. Scenes where the supercomputer / quantum computer PINN comes out is a great inspiration for me.
I guess another project that I want to work on the Raspberry Pi 2 are the finance / stock prediction world as well...

Here's trailer of the Transcendence for those who haven't watched it yet.

Edited by stingraze 2015-09-04 12:32 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-09-05 11:05 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My firm is about 70% through a project designed to use the RPi for data gathering as a commercial package. The prototyping is going reasonably well, we're trying to get the to PoE at the moment. The project was initially prototypes on NUC's, but they're way too power hungry being 12v and - as it turns out - too electrically noisy for miniaturisation. The RPi approach is also 1/5 the price too, which helps.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-05 11:14 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nice. data gathering is really suitable for a Raspberry Pi since its power consumption is low.

About PoE, I found something like this: https://www.switch-science.com/catalog/1918/ (Japanese site)
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 30