x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Hello Everyone.

[Frozen]
Frozen
Haribo Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 7:25 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone. I found the place shortly after buying a Sharp Mobilon Pro HV-5000 at a second hand shop earlier in the week. My real name's Alex and I figured if I have nothing else to contribute at the moment, I'd at least introduce myself and say thanks for being the only place on the web I could find any decent games for my device. It's a little bit roundabout too. I use my good computer to download, a flash drive to copy stuff to a circa 2001 ThinkPad with an IR port which is used to install to my HPC.

For anyone interested, I took some photos of the device that lead to me coming here.
http://imgur.com/a/gGr6m#0
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 7:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC General Discussion

Cool. And welcome.

I hope the battery still holds a decent charge. I picked up more than one a few years ago, but never had any luck with the battery packs in any of them.

Your first image reminds me of the one Wikipedia uses as an example in its article on the Handheld PC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handheld_PC
 Top of the page
Haribo Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 7:59 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Lol yeah, I did a google image search for the thing and saw the one on Wikipedia. As for battery, no. It holds a five minute charge. Perhaps some payday later on, I'll go onto eBay and hunt down a battery. Speaking of batteries, is there anyway to get the device to stop nagging me to install a new backup battery every five minutes? I tried kindly telling the thing "yes, next time I go to the grocery store" but it just won't listen.

FWIW, the same thrift shop also had an NEC MobilePro 770 but without AC adapter and there were some bits of plastic missing. I passed on that due to a short wallet. Maybe if it's still there next time I go I'll buy it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 8:23 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

No, unfortunately the message is inside explorer.exe, so there's no registry hack to disable it.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 11:16 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Haribo - 2015-09-04 4:25 PM

Hello everyone. I found the place shortly after buying a Sharp Mobilon Pro HV-5000 at a second hand shop earlier in the week. My real name's Alex and I figured if I have nothing else to contribute at the moment, I'd at least introduce myself and say thanks for being the only place on the web I could find any decent games for my device. It's a little bit roundabout too. I use my good computer to download, a flash drive to copy stuff to a circa 2001 ThinkPad with an IR port which is used to install to my HPC.

For anyone interested, I took some photos of the device that lead to me coming here.
http://imgur.com/a/gGr6m#0

Hello Haribo. Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy the Handheld PC and make good use of it. I think it's really rare to find a Sharp Mobilon Pro HV-5000 in a real shop these days (I mean not online shop).

Top of the page
Haribo Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 1:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That day, another thrift shop nearby, a Goodwill had a couple of PocketPCs and the place I had got my Mobilon from had a couple of laptops, a Cassiopeia along with the NEC I mentioned and a few other goodies. I think somebody nearby unloaded his collection.

While it didn't come with a sync cable, I was able to improvise pretty easily. I have an old ThinkPad T21 with WinXP and an infrared port. Also my LaserJet has an infrared transceiver attached and the Mobilon can print to it out of the box (first time in my almost ten years ownership of the 15 year old printer that I ever had use for that attachment).

It might be worth noting that this isn't my first foray into the world of HPC. Back in middle school I spent plenty of time playing with the display units at MicroCenter and later, in 2007, I wound up owner of an HP 660LX and a Compaq of some sort with a mono screen and HPC pro (must have been one of the only non-color HPC pro devices but it ran forever on a pair of AAs and had a decent MIPS cpu and was smaller than any other HPC I've encountered).

Hopefully, one of these days, I'll be able to stumble upon a Mobilon HC-4500 with the camera card; back in 6th grade that's what I wanted more than any other digital gadget. Finding a Jornada 720 or Vadem Clio would also excite me. As much as I like my PV-5000 so far, I feel like the netbook formfactor somewhat takes away from the charms of a traditional HPC.

[EDIT] @stingraze: I already know you, lol. I posted a few things on the classicalcomputing blog a few years ago; Mikey introduced us.

Edited by Haribo 2015-09-04 1:30 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 3:07 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Haha I knew you sounded familiar, I never knew your online username lol.

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 3:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nice looking machine....just rebuild the battery and you will be cooking!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 8:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Haribo - 2015-09-04 5:09 AM
It might be worth noting that this isn't my first foray into the world of HPC. Back in middle school I spent plenty of time playing with the display units at MicroCenter and later, in 2007, I wound up owner of an HP 660LX and a Compaq of some sort with a mono screen and HPC pro (must have been one of the only non-color HPC pro devices but it ran forever on a pair of AAs and had a decent MIPS cpu and was smaller than any other HPC I've encountered).

It sounds like you're talking about the 810:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hardware/devices/specification.asp?d=38

We're not aware of an H/PC Pro ROM upgrade chip for this, though.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-04 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2015-09-04 11:23 AM

No, unfortunately the message is inside explorer.exe, so there's no registry hack to disable it.

I am almost sure that one can make explorer.exe.xxxx.mui where he places such a resource used by this dialog which makes this warning to fail.

And one can use another explorer.exe for that as I mentioned in another thread, one can even try to copy it from ROM.

Resources should be edited by some kind of PE editor.

Edited by Alt Bass 2015-09-04 9:17 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-09-05 2:11 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, but it has to be able to execute in this particular device. I've tried alternate ARM versions of explorer.exe in some of my newer devices, but some won't open. And where can one get an alternate MIPS CE 2.11 version of explorer.exe? (The ePods version is CE 2.12.)
 Top of the page
Haribo Page Icon Posted 2015-09-05 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

The c810 looks like it. The thing had white keys (well, light gray) unlike the ones i see commonly on the internet. Perhaps a late revision? I dont see anything online about hpc pro on it either but thats what it ran. Also found a patch for my PV-5000 in the hpc update section. Apparently im not the only one who had issues with the backup battery prompt.

Edited by Haribo 2015-09-05 3:04 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2015-09-05 1:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

CE Geek - 2015-09-05 5:11 AM

Yeah, but it has to be able to execute in this particular device.

No, it doesn't. IIRC, it doesn't even need to be of the same architecture because only the resources are read (it depends on the checks which CE performs). It may even happen that files from other version of CE can be used.

CE Geek - 2015-09-05 5:11 AM

And where can one get an alternate MIPS CE 2.11 version of explorer.exe? (The ePods version is CE 2.12.)

You take any version which you expect to be accepted as MUI file and edit the resources.

Edited by Alt Bass 2015-09-05 1:35 PM
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9