x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB-A male to male cable

jamesjim123 Page Icon Posted 2015-10-27 11:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is this the correct wiring for a usb A male to male cable?I need to flash (with Burntool) V-net VL760..with arm926ej-s..I made the cable but the v-net wont find in the flash program. I found this on a website.

"You need a straight USB A male - USB A male , pins 1-1 , 2-2 , 3-4 , 4-4."

version:1.90
hardware version:3.0
CPU: ARM 926EJ-S
Release SV122
RAM:128M
video decode :1
press F1 key to update system.

(usb-primary.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments usb-primary.gif (41KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2015-10-28 8:38 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If I read that right, unless you have some odd internal controller logic going on and only want simplex, datagram transmission, if you connect 3 and 4 together it will never create a circuit because the path of least resistance goes directly to ground. Or put another way, it can't receive because the pin on the sender isn't wired and when it transmits, it gets dropped.

Try 3-3 which is a standard USB wiring method perhaps?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2015-10-28 1:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Unless you need power, you probably don't need any of the pins connected except 2 & 3. 2-3 and 3-2 would be like a null modem cable. Though some devices already have those leads reversed as the USB port is designed for data transfer using a proprietary cable supplied with the device. A good way to screw someone up. Your diagram shows straight pass through...so maybe that is correct. However, I agree with C:Amie that 4-3 doesn't seem right...you are grounding out your signal before it ever gets to where it needs to go.

I'd be very careful while connecting any power lead to make sure it isn't going to a dead ground anyways...might burn up the power in the sending unit. This is where you need to test the resistance between the shield and pin 4 to see if they are common or isolated.

Though normally I certainly wouldn't connect any power to the shielding ground....

Some USB controllers draw their power from the USB bus, while others draw from the main board. Hard to know unless you have a schematic showing the controller type.

So far, most all of the Windows CE GPS units I've found have no power to the USB ports at all, plus I haven't found any with SDIO support for the SD/Micro-SD card slots either...which is a bummer. Nothing to do with what you are asking about, but it just shows that a lot of devices provide minimal support to the I/O port.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2015-10-28 5:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

A standard USB A male-to-USB A male cable should work. The old Web page on the CnMbook Silver (another Anyka AK7802 device like the VL-760) said that the sync cable that came with that device is used for the reflash procedure, but the CnMbook I have didn't come with that cable, so I tried a standard USB A male-to-USB A male cable, and it syncs fine with that, so I'm assuming it'll also work for reflashing. (I'm wondering if flashing one of the CnMbook ROMs would enable ActiveSync connection in the VL-760. The VL-760 manual says it supports ActiveSync, but that's not true. At least the one I got doesn't. )
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 11