x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows folder rolling back changes after poweroff

Ranomez Page Icon Posted 2016-01-18 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everyone, I hope I am not reviving some type of dead horse here but I've been searching and can't seem to find something similar, I have a Goclever Navigator 5040 (which as far as I can find out from the system is a clone/rebrand of the nDrive touch xl) and it is running Windows CE 5.0, I managed to use myboot to load other programs from the navigation app link in the custom UI so I can go into the explorer, iPhoneToday, WolfNCU and GPS Menu (by Pez) using those shells I can launch apps from the microSD card and install them from explorer which works mostly fine, I don't loose (data about) installed apps after a reboot or registry changes but if I try to change anything in the Windows folder it just reverts back after a poweroff so I would like to ask if there is any way to make my PNA keep changes to the windows directory (which most probably is not possible) OR to somehow edit the registry to make it load dll's from an other folder on the nandflash/residentflash/sdcard at boot as if they were from the windows directory, I am asking this because I would like to be able to install (and keep as working) GAPI and .NET CF 3.5.

Thank you for any answers and I am really hoping there is a way to do that, although I do not have advanced knowledge (possibly not even enough of the basic knowledge) about how Windows or Windows CE works as I am more of a linux guy usually.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-01-18 7:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

This is not an uncommon problem, and it has to do with a persistent registry. You can search here on HPCFactor and find many examples of others having the same problem.

This thread HERE is probably the best summary of your options.

Basically make sure that your CF.NET and GAPI cab files do not self-erase after installing them and store them somewhere you can easily reinstall everything, even automatically on boot up if possible.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-01-18 7:58 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You can try changing the registry entry for Windows in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Explorer/Shell Folders, similar to what's described in this tutorial (substituting the name of the flash storage folder in your PNA [it's usually \ResidentFlash in Windows CE-based PNAs] instead of \NandFlash) -

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0127.asp

- but I've found that that generally doesn't solve this problem, because for some reason most programs still don't seem to find the required .dll files there.

For GAPI this is no problem, because you can just put gx.dll in the same folder with each program that uses it. This is also true with most other DLL files. With .NET CF 3.5, it's a lot more complicated. The workaround that seems to work for me is described in the middle of this page:

http://forums.pocketpcfaq.com/viewtopic.php?p=56116

Top of the page
Ranomez Page Icon Posted 2016-01-18 11:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2016-01-19 9:58 AM
You can try changing the registry entry for Windows in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Explorer/Shell Folders, similar to what's described in this tutorial (substituting the name of the flash storage folder in your PNA [it's usually \ResidentFlash in Windows CE-based PNAs] instead of \NandFlash) -

I see that the tutorial only talks about changing the Programs, Desktop and StartUp folder locations, is changing the Windows location safe also? (there is no way to flash or hard reset this device once it's powered off as far as I'm aware unfortunately so I'd not risk bricking it, especially since it is a really good PNA, although I don't actually have a driver's license so that doesn't really help)

Also would like to ask if there is any way to get cmd working like this, it needs the console.dll in Windows and just having it in the same folder won't work unfortunately?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-01-19 12:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I've tried it without bricking the devices I've tried it in - I believe it still reads \Windows even if the value for "Windows" in HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders is changed. But as I said above, it's not likely to help anyway. I'd recommend trying the workarounds I described after that.
 Top of the page
Ranomez Page Icon Posted 2016-07-26 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2016-01-19 2:02 PM

I've tried it without bricking the devices I've tried it in - I believe it still reads \Windows even if the value for "Windows" in HKLM/System/Explorer/Shell Folders is changed. But as I said above, it's not likely to help anyway. I'd recommend trying the workarounds I described after that.

Well I've been busy with college and stuff so didn't reply in a while, the problem with doing that is the fact that .net cf 3.5 makes the windows directory fill up so I can no longer install programs after installing it and although it can not see the files after reboot they are still there and I can not delete them before rebooting, it just tells me I can't delete them although they are not set as read-only so the only thing I can do to once again be able to install stuff is factory reset (thus losing all changes to registry).
Could you, if possible, send me the reg keys that installing .net cf 3.5 creates so I can insert them without installing the files in the windows directory (ofc I will need to change them to point to the location on the SDMMC where I have the files for it)?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 28