x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

IBM Workpad Z50 battery rebuild

Hercule Page Icon Posted 2016-02-01 9:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi. I have an IBM Workpad Z50 but the battery light on the laptop flashes red, and if I try to insert PCMCIA cards it goes into hibernation with a blank screen. I need to press the on/off button for it to resume. So I thought about replacing the cells inside the Li-ion pack. I have some Li-ion 3.7v cells US18650GR. Does anyone have experience of doing this with the Z50 - any pitfalls to avoid?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-02-02 8:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, be very careful. You need to heat solder and be damn sure to wire the charge circuit properly as failing on both or either front will not make for a happy ending.
 Top of the page
Hercule Page Icon Posted 2016-02-08 2:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is there anyway of resetting it so it will charge? I think the cells are fine but just too discharged and the safety circuit has stopped them charging.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-02-08 7:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Normally just removing the old cells and inserting new ones will resolve the batteries problems....though some of the newer batteries actually have fusible links in them that disintegrate when the cells fail to keep you from rebuilding them...nothing like that on any HPCs though.
 Top of the page
Hercule Page Icon Posted 2016-05-15 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I managed to replace the cells and it now works. I researched into it and you can buy battery chargers on Ebay with 0v activation as an added feature.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10