x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Wifey broke my trusty laptop... :(

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-30 8:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2016-10-30 8:44 AM

Yes, I confirm upgrading to SSD is superb.

My experience is swapping a hard drive out of old (2010) modded HP server ML115G5 with Phenom II X4 2.6GHz and 4GB RAM to CFD's SSD (which has Toshiba SSD in).
The boot time of Ubuntu 16.04 HP ML115G5 is comparable to a Macbook Pro 2014... :-)

I am considering swapping my old 2009 Macbook Pro to SSD, but kind of afraid I might break it. lol

I've done plenty of MBP conversions, it's fairly straightforward to do. Just don't try and mess around with disk cloning, do a clean install and be happy.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-30 10:44 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Last week, I picked up a mint refurb of the Asus Transformer T100TA. Its hardware is about three years old, but the detetachable keyboard was a cool form factor and the price was only $128USD.

The factory has upgraded the machine from 8.1 to 10, but after the anniversary upate, I developed an unsolvable memory write error at shutdown. I held my breath and did a clean install of 10 from USB boot, praying that the machine's digital id would act as my product key and indeed it did.

Even a generic loads on some bloat, but not too much, and one can actually install MS Word 97, including SP2, on Windows 10. SP2 needs a bit of hacking to complete the installation.

It's been a while since I've liked a MS OS, but 10 is the closest since the definitive XP. Pretty snappy w/ just the 1.43 CPU and only 2GB RAM. Even got my Huawei E397 unlocked modem working. Classic Shell is a must.

And I would love to have black systray icons so a fully-transparent taskbar could be seen against the white of a MS document. The systray still remains mostly impenetrable even with all the customizations in 10.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-30 1:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

LOL...I picked up an original Office 97 at my local Salvation Army store a couple weeks ago...in the original packaging with CD key....total cost: $1.99. And as you say, it installed on Windows 10 without a hitch. Once you install the .docx addon/update it becomes near perfect.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-30 2:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The file format converters work on Word/Excel/PowerPoint 97? It was only supposed to go down to 2000?

Do I need to add that to http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/office/#mso97

Which version of the FileFormatConverters.exe works with it?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-30 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, I'd like to know, too. I've been using Textmaker 2012 for .docx stuff.

Jake
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-10-31 4:01 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Wow. I thought it only worked on Office 2000 too. But after reading this thread, I found this: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133124-ms-office-2007-compatibility...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-31 1:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Worked for me...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-10-31 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@Mobi--Yes, I had found the same hopeful link yesterday I was waiting for Rich's confirmation.

@Rich--What a great tip.

@C:Amie-- I installed the 2007 FileFormatConverters.exe, no other exe's and Word 97 opens docx and saves in docx. Not only that, you can open a .doc and save said document in .docx. Truly amazing; what next, WP2 firmware for 16-bit PCMCIA wifi cards?

Jake
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-11-01 3:25 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I consulted that MSFN website several times when I was setting up a Windows 2000/Office 2000 virtual machine on my ThinkPad. I run Linux, but I'm not much of a fan of LibreOffice.

Anyways, MSFN is a really useful site. I highly recommend it.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 48 - Executed queries : 29