x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

GPD WIN - New device coming out later this year

1 2
indstr Page Icon Posted 2016-03-25 4:06 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thought you guys might be interested in this...

Info:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console#/

Specs:

Intel Atom X5 Z8500 @ 1.44 ghz
4GB RAM
5.5" capacitave touch screen, 1280x720
Wifi, bluetooth, hdmi, all that good stuff
Windows 10 Home

I know it's clearly meant more for gaming, but I thought it looked pretty interesting for gaming and also writing music on.

They're taking pre-orders now and it'll come to market in October
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2016-03-25 6:46 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oh yeah, that's very tempting.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-26 8:39 AM
#
Nice, but I'd prefer something a bit less mainstream, it would be cool with Windows CE, tho.
I'm heavily dissapointed in Windows 10.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-26 1:21 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't want or need a handheld game device...especially one primarily designed for right-handed people.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 10:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I knew it! I knew it! I always has my suspicions about you Rich. You sinister devil.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 2:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey, watch it C:Amie...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 4:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

He's speaking Latin Scott....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 6:19 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2016-03-27 2:06 AM

I knew it! I knew it! I always has my suspicions about you Rich. You sinister devil.

I see what you did there.
 Top of the page
indstr Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 6:21 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Rich Hawley - 2016-03-26 8:21 AM

I don't want or need a handheld game device...especially one primarily designed for right-handed people.

So you're left handed, and you would prefer the d-pad to be on the right side??? Very interesting. I'm right handed and I've always been used to the d-pad being on the left side... But I've always wondered about that design decision. It seems like movement of your character requires more precision than simply pressing buttons to shoot and jump/etc, so wouldn't it actually make more sense to use your dominant hand for it? So I've speculated that they intentionally designed controllers with the d-pad on most peoples' non-dominant side actually so people could exercise both sides of their brain and not just rely on the dominant side, while letting the non dominant side atrophy.

But maybe I'm reading too much into it?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-27 10:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I only use half of my brain at one time....when it comes time to exercises the other half...I switch.

Truth be told, I never played with game handhelds, so I really never got used to them. But my nephew did, and I tried out his Gameboys and other things and never liked the controls. I've always been a simple joystick type of guy.

I guess it is what you are used to.

But they ought to design the damn things so you could flip and assigned the keys as you like. How hard could that be? They could have had D-Pads on both sides, using one for the ABXY functions, and the user could configure them as they like.

And what a silly little keyboard....
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-03-28 8:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2016-03-27 2:24 PM

I only use half of my brain at one time....when it comes time to exercises the other half...I switch.

So I see . . .
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-03-28 10:31 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I was transitioning between halves while typing that...
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2016-03-29 7:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

SwizzleDude - 2016-03-26 12:39 AM

Nice, but I'd prefer something a bit less mainstream, it would be cool with Windows CE, tho.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. At this point, the most recent version of Windows CE, Windows Embedded Compact 2013, is pushing three years old, and Microsoft has gone all-in using the NT kernel for all applications, including embedded. You're not going to see too much activity going forward for Windows CE, especially in devices like the above.

As compared to Windows 8/8.1, or Windows 7/Vista?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-29 8:22 PM
#
SirThoreth - 2016-03-29 7:32 PM

Yeah, that's not going to happen. At this point, the most recent version of Windows CE, Windows Embedded Compact 2013, is pushing three years old, and Microsoft has gone all-in using the NT kernel for all applications, including embedded. You're not going to see too much activity going forward for Windows CE, especially in devices like the above.

True. Windows CE (or Embedded Compact, whatever) is being moved out of the publics view. If I'd get a euro for every time I've had to tell kids that Windows CE is not discontinued, I'd be a millionaire. It looks like Windows IoT is going to replace it sooner or later, tho.

In my view 8/8.1 where pretty bad, they where just more bloated and had a strange GUI. I'd say Windows 7, since it's the latest version I'd use with fun.
 Top of the page
SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 1:51 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

SwizzleDude - 2016-03-29 12:22 PM

SirThoreth - 2016-03-29 7:32 PM

True. Windows CE (or Embedded Compact, whatever) is being moved out of the publics view. If I'd get a euro for every time I've had to tell kids that Windows CE is not discontinued, I'd be a millionaire. It looks like Windows IoT is going to replace it sooner or later, tho.

Exactly. It may not be discontinued, but it's certainly not under active development.

In my view 8/8.1 where pretty bad, they where just more bloated and had a strange GUI. I'd say Windows 7, since it's the latest version I'd use with fun.

See, and I'm of the opposite opinion: if you have a touchscreen, Windows 8/8.1 is superior to Windows 10. Windows 10, meanwhile, shifted the UI back in the direction of Windows 7 pretty significantly.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9