x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

GPD WIN - New device coming out later this year

1 2
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-03-30 3:02 PM
#
Yeah, it depends on what device you use 8/8.1. The vast majority of PC users don't have a touchscreen, that's why it flopped.

All these qoutes are giving me headaches
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-03-31 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just thought i would relay that i posted this a while back.... http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17840&posts=3&start=1
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-04-03 4:02 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I like and don't like some things about Windows 10, depending on the device.

I tried it on my HTPC several months ago and ended up rolling back to Windows 7. The settings system remains a unconsolidated mess (settings plus control panel) and the video drivers were not yet up to par for my machine. Given that they're going to support Windows 7 until 2020, I'll probably just leave the HTPC as it is.

However, on my tablet, Windows 10 is a big step forward from Windows 8.1. The gestures are simplified and intuitive, and the start screen consolidation makes sense. I like the UI for tablet use. The settings are still a mess, but I can put up with some flaws if there are strengths to offset them.

That being said, there are two things that I don't like about Windows 10 in any context: automatic updates (that cannot be turned off) and all the user data collection. As a result, my laptops run Linux. The only Windows program I need is MS Word (for document compatibility purposes -- LibreOffice just doesn't cut it), and it runs well under WINE.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-04-03 10:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Off Topic
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2016-11-09 9:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi everyone! Long time no post

I'm surprised you guys aren't more excited about this device. Sure it's technically a UMPC, but for all intents and purposes this works, looks, feels, and smells more like an HPC than anything I have read about, for a really long time.

This thing is released and liliputing just posted a review of it couple days ago.

Sure the keyboard is smaller than a Sig3's and the whole thing is more designed as a portable game machine - but I wouldn't have a problem using it as a handheld PC, especially if it has better performance (relative to its release date) and battery life than any UMPCs before (which are the two main downfalls of UMPCs, imho)

And at the current price this isn't expensive either. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who have spent more than that (after inflation) on an HPC and didn't get as much use as I would with this.

If I could just try typing on this keyboard and like it, I might just be reaching for my wallet...

So, really... comments?

PS yes thcrw739 posted about it earlier but I'd rather continue the topic here.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-09 11:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Just two things....

You can easily turn off Win10 updates using services.msc and selecting "disable" under the update service.

Takwu...my Android phone has really replaced all my needs for an HPC. However...if I needed a keyboard for writing..my MP900C still works fine.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2016-11-09 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So Rich did you type that reply on your MP900C? Pretty sure this website doesn't agree with IE on CE4 ...

Or did you use your Android phone and typed it on the touchscreen?

Now I am typing this on a Surface with a keyboard cover, but I wouldn't mind doing it on that GPD WIN, if the keyboard works well enough
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-10 9:27 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Ha...using ASUS Memopad 181C...works best from my recliner....
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-10 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

takwu - 2016-11-09 12:33 PM

Sure the keyboard is smaller than a Sig3's

Sig3's keyboard is the smallest which I can personally tolerate.

It's a great thing overall but I stopped buying new things a while ago, I mostly use Sig3 as portable player.

Dreaming about making an HPC myself complete with OS now.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-11-11 2:20 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Alt Bass - 2016-11-11 4:37 AM
Dreaming about making an HPC myself complete with OS now.

Do tell us if your dream becomes a reality! :-)

Edited by stingraze 2016-11-11 2:25 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-11 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Availability of powerful opensource ARM boards makes it a lot more doable but I am still years away from that.

Do not count on that.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-11-11 7:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It would be easy to take an existing touchcreen tablet and put it in a laptop case with a usb keyboard....instant hpc!
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-11-12 9:04 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Rich Hawley - 2016-11-12 4:01 AM

It would be easy to take an existing touchcreen tablet and put it in a laptop case with a usb keyboard....instant hpc!

Yep, like this guy over here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqG8ivP0RkQ

He used a Nexus 7 with Ubuntu & Keyboard case to do just that.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-12 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2016-11-11 10:01 PM

There is an unpleasant choice if you decide to do so.

a) The laptop case has no battery: the tablet outweights the keyboard unless externally supported and drops back.
b) The laptop case has a battery to balance the tablet: it gets heavy.

Screw that.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 8