x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SDIO Wifi card?

SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-04-21 5:06 PM
#
Hi!
The Mio C230 GPS unit I was talking about previously has been unlocked and works fine
I am now seeking for some way to get any internet connectivity, how to I find out if the units SD slot supports SDIO, so that I could attach a Wifi card?
Is there a way to connect a standard USB Wifi dongle (of course with WinCE drivers) to the mini USB port, maybe with some kind of adapter?
Thanks!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-04-21 7:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I don't know for sure the answer to the former, but I have my doubts that the hardware was designed to support SDIO since there isn't a need for it on a PNA (in particular for SDIO WiFi, since PNAs are generally used while in motion). As for the mini-USB port, that is normally a client port for connection to a PC. I doubt that it would support USB host functions, so attaching an adapter wouldn't do anything.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-04-21 9:29 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Have to agree with CEGeek, I've tried and tried, to no avail.

I purchased mini-USB to full female USB adapters, microSD to full size SD adapters and tried them with numerous USB and SD wifi cards. Host capability just doesn't seem to be built into most of these devices...and for a good reason...it takes more to build them that way.

Normally, if you plug an USB or SD wifi card into a CE unit, the first thing you will get is an request asking for the drivers. If you don't get that, then you can be sure the card was not even recognized as being new hardware. And that is a hardware thing, not just a simple registry edit.

I've tried with an Nextar GPS unit, a Navman, an HP310, a generic 5" MStar 5321 based GPS, a 7" Mediatek GPS, a Garmin Nuvi, and others. Never could get anything but client usage from USB, and simple memory storage from SD slots.

But did you mean the Mio C320 (not C230)? That is one of the few GPS that does have an SDIO slot...and of course there are a few CE GPS units out there with built in wifi as well. If so, then read HERE!
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-04-22 6:17 AM
#
No, sadly I do have the C230. Hmm, I'll scratch that idea then.
But it does in fact have connection option for VPN, what does that mean?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-04-24 2:32 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

It may be kind of strange, but I had this thought maybe you can connect to the internet via the mini-USB cable connecting to the host PC?

I remember my Pocket PC could connect to the internet via the ActiveSync through a host PC back in those days...

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-04-24 2:41 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, but I never understood that concept since it kinda defeats the purpose of a mobile device.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-04-24 3:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I know! lol but maybe if it was a host laptop? Still defeats its purpose, I guess.

Edited by stingraze 2016-04-24 3:13 AM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-04-24 3:10 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Right. There was even a way to get an H/PC on-line via a host PC and an infrared connection, without ActiveSync. It's written up at this site, and at other places, too. I did it, but it's merely one of those proof-of-concept things, like my sex life.

Jake
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-04-24 8:23 AM
#
Yeah, I always wondered what the purpose was connecting your CE device to your big fat PC to browse the web, it's somewhat contracproductive
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-05-08 3:45 PM
#
UPDATE!
I was just wandering through the registry, as I found a possible hint about SDIO support!

Watcha think?

Edited by SwizzleDude 2016-05-08 3:59 PM
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-05-10 3:49 PM
#
Is this maybe a standard registry key, found in every device?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-06-11 4:33 PM
#
Sorry for bumping up this old thread, but I want to give some clarification: I ordered a Spectec SDW 821, and after fiddling with DLLs and registry settings, it worked! I'm browsing the web fine!

The Mio C230 (I don't mean the C320) supports SDIO Wifi cards! If anybody wants, I can upload the instructions!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-06-11 6:38 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

By all means, give us a detailed description of your accomplishment!
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-06-11 6:48 PM
#
Haha Okay, I've made a nice ZIP package with instructions and all required files, I've attached it to this post. . .

Here you go!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tp0jjnpg4w0kham/MioC230_WifiPack....

Please tell me if it worked for you!

Edited by SwizzleDude 2016-06-11 6:52 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8