x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-05-20 12:58 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Nothing important here. I was just logging on to HPCFactor using the ReMix version of x86 Android. Checking to make sure it worked okay, and it seems it does.

Really it is pretty impressive what they have done. I'm running everything off an USB memory stick. A person could set it up the way they like, and then take it with them where ever they travel...it would be like carrying your whole computer on a stick.

Seems to work great so far. Anyone else ever given it a try?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-05-20 7:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I didn't even know there are x86 builds of Android already.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-05-20 1:01 PM
#
Yeah, I have hear of that OS, it's said to be mindbogglingly fast. Due to a lack of time and a proper app store, I haven't tried it out yet.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-05-21 1:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Wow! The Remix OS looks so cool! :-)

I've only tried running BlueStacks on my Macbook Pro a few years back to load my Android search engine app, but I never tried an Android on a laptop running on USB drive.

The interface seems very modern. Care to share a screenshot? :-)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-05-22 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Well done, Rich.

There's an active x86 community on the google forums and about five years ago, one fellow released an Android ICS port specifically for the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t. I've used it off and on, mostly for the cool factor.

My Ideapad has an ssd, so I rigged the port to boot off an sd card, but get the actual OS from the ssd, which did increase start-up speed.

A great thing about these ports is you're already root, so your opportunities at the Playstore are limited only by your OS version.

An odd thing, at least with my Ideapad, is that the machine ran a little hot, hotter than my Linux installs on the ssd. Not dramatically hot, but enough to run the fan constantly, a drag.

Jake
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-05-22 6:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It is kind of neat that Android running on x86 can run the same apps as Android running on an ARM based smartphone.

If they had designed the CE operating system to run apps regardless of the processor, ARM, MIPS, SH3, that would have been cool. I mean I know they did with the VB stuff and VS stuff, but it would have been nice way back when the whole HPC thing started to have 100% compatibility regardless of the hardware behind it.

A couple of screenshots...the desktop which runs everything I've installed, including the free Textmaker Mobile, and screenshot programs, browsers, and my favorite game...Boom Beach.

(desktop.jpg)

(boombeach.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments desktop.jpg (86KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments boombeach.jpg (189KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-05-22 6:17 PM
#
Wow! That looks really nice! Do you think this could compete with desktop Windows? (It looks pretty similair to Windows 10, by the way)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-05-22 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thank you for attaching the screenshot! Very nice OS UI! :-)

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-05-23 10:04 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I really think it will do about as good as any other build of Linux has done in the past. It will be loved by some, discarded by most, and despised by others. It still has some ways to go to be perfect, especially with mouse clicks and response. I can click on something and until the program opens, I have no indication that my click was even recognized. The arrow doesn't change, the icon doesn't invert colors, and right now I haven't found a way to resize my desktop to something larger I can easily see.

Great start so far...really good, but not there yet!
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-05-24 3:40 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Did you see that the google app store is coming to Chromebooks?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-05-24 5:48 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yep, and the apps will run in individual floating windows, or full screen mode as necessary. That will make a ton of apps available for the Chromebook that is otherwise limited. Hopefully newer Chromebooks will support RAM expansion. Or maybe they already do, but the ones I've seen are pretty limited...

I'm really surprised that the Chromium OS never really caught on...it would be so easy to compile it for x86 machines...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.183 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9