x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

scotterbug Page Icon Posted 2018-03-14 4:45 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well been slowly programming it with a few flubs. I have a Windows 10 desktop, I copied the x86 Program Files onto my MicroSD card and inserted it in the slot. I was able to run installations of Firefox, CCleaner and XN View photo editor onto the Fujitsu. And right know I'm downloading Windows Update. With VLC and Media Player Classic also loaded I was able to watch a few movies and TV shows. Thanks to figuring out the WiFi connection set up. Now I just have to figure out how to zoom the screen to a more legible type face.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2018-03-15 4:25 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Sounds like you're doing very well.

Hope you continue to have good luck with it.

Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-18 9:20 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm just curious, do you all think these new handhelds will catch on? Seems like the hardware, build quality and software is top notch. I've spoken out so many times how I was against tablets, and how stupid they truly were for people wanting to get stuff done. An example is me when I travel. I tried using a tablet as a travel companion and found myself wanting to destroy it for the impracticality it presented. Not only did I have to carry the tablet itself, but also a separate keyboard to attach to it. A pain in the butt in small spaces like on a train or economy seating.

I've noticed that the keyboards for the most part though, aren't exactly type friendly. I'm hoping that changes somewhat with the Gemini, seeing the Psion 5 was (and still is) a great little compact machine to type on.

But could the era of tablets (at least, stand-alone tablets and not tablets like he Surface) be at an end? Could handhelds be making a comeback? With my new found love for Windows 10 and long lasting love of handheld computers, I certainly hope so.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-18 9:24 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I believe the tablet is here to stay. In my living room, in my easy chair, right now… all I ever use is my ASUS Memopad…
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-18 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Tablets have their time and place, and for consuming media I don't think anything will ever beat it. But I'm thinking more along the likes of people who are often on the go and carry either a tablet with keyboard or laptop that might like downsizing or making it more portable than a tablet / keyboard combo?

For example, the Surface from Microsoft is an outstanding tablet hybrid. The SurfaceBook is probably what laptops will eventually become. But for those who'd like to go even more portable, could a Gemini be the solution? While you *can* use a tablet to edit an Excel document, how long would it take before that got really tedious?

Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2018-03-18 10:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I’m in agreement with Rich, tablets are here to stay. I use mine (Nexus 7 (2013)) much more than my laptop. And I use it for everything, including things like checking news sites, Twitter, checking photo web sites, Facebook, etc. However, having said that, if I want to do any typing, I’m usually back on my MobilePro 700 (yes, I’m still using one daily).
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-19 9:08 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

And therein lies the crux of the question/debate.

The tablet by itself is not designed for long term heavy text input. But neither is a Jornada 720 or a Sigmation 3. And, in my opinion, are any of those 7" WinCE netbooks. Because for the majority of us, we simply need a larger keyboard for true productivity… which is why as a college student I used my MP790 over my J680. Neither of which I use any longer or even own.

My trusty desktop is my mainstay for real work.

It used to be I used it for all my eBay postings… but the tablet with it's built in camera along with the eBay app has even adopted that responsibility now.

The MP700 Rich? You will be buried with that one day I believe…
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2018-03-19 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Richard Plume - 2018-03-18 2:47 PM

I’m in agreement with Rich, tablets are here to stay. I use mine (Nexus 7 (2013)) much more than my laptop. And I use it for everything, including things like checking news sites, Twitter, checking photo web sites, Facebook, etc. However, having said that, if I want to do any typing, I’m usually back on my MobilePro 700 (yes, I’m still using one daily).

Richard, I'm curious what you use your MP 700 for and if/how you mesh it with your "online" life. I carry a Jornada 720 most days and love using it, but it isn't connected to my PIM information, email, etc. which is all online. HPCs still have benefits for me, but I'm struggling to keep using them due to their lack of connectivity.
 Top of the page
Richard Plume Page Icon Posted 2018-03-19 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

PDXMark - 2018-03-19 10:57 AM

Richard, I'm curious what you use your MP 700 for and if/how you mesh it with your "online" life.

Great question.

My MP700 hasn’t been online in years. I have a heavily-laden 700 and most of the programs haven’t been used in a very long time – they’re been supplanted by apps on my tablet or programs on my laptop. I’m not about to go back to editing photos or star gazing on the MobilePro – that’s now better left to a tablet or laptop. The MobilePro’s calendar program hasn’t been opened in years – my wife and I share our calendars online. Email is handled by my cell phone or tablet. The same with our household tracking spreadsheet. I could run it on the MobilePro but it’s just much easier to read on a large laptop screen.

However, the MobilePro does come into its own when I want to write – there’s something to be said for distraction-free writing and the MobilePro nails it like no other. I can be out for a week of camping and it’s the MobilePro that goes with me. A couple of AA batteries (and a very small solar charger) is all I need. I can balance it on my lap while sitting against a tree. I can’t do that with either a laptop or tablet (too heavy and too many lithium storage packs (and associated larger solar panels)). It’s also good at my local library where seating and power outlets are sometimes at a premium.

At this point I not bothered by the MobilePro’s lack of connectivity – it’s no longer when I use it for. It’s also a great conversation piece, especially at the library. People are very curious about it and it seems to trigger a bit of nostalgia for simpler times.

I’m also not the only one in Toronto who uses old devices. I know of people who still use Newtons and about two years ago or so, before I retired, I ran into someone on the subway who was still happily using a Palm III.

My current MP700 has been running for about 10 years now. I’ve got a few in reserve if it should ever fail…

Rick

Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 3:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for the perspective; it's interesting to hear how others are using tech, particularly old tech. I work in a large office with random pieces of older tech hanging around, and people who work with me know to let me know when they come across something cool.

I'm still using CE Agenda on the J720 for now. I have a phone and tablet, but it's so much quicker and easier to enter appointments and tasks on the Jornada. I also like the monthly view, where I can see 2-3 weeks of appointments at a glance. I can do that on my Win10 tablet, but the interface is more cluttered and difficult to take in. You'd think by now we'd have better GUIs, rather than worse.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 7:31 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I was using Sigmarion 3 quite a bit for writing until a while ago, but I now (temporarily) switched to au IS01. The Sigmarion 3 has a much better keyboard for fast typing, but the fact that I can connect to my servers via ssh is good for me. The Windows CE .NET 4.1 ssh tools are either too expensive or non existent...

I've used LifeTouch Note by NEC running Android 2.2 in the past, but that was a little too big for me, and the build quality was of less quality than Sigmarion 3. Maybe I'll use Sigmarion 3 again once I charge it up.

I think someday soon I'd like to buy a Jornada 720 as I keep saying but can't execute.

Edited by stingraze 2018-03-20 7:32 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 10:25 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So in my ongoing eBay search the other day I see some retired Skeye Pad XSLs for sale. Untested. But for the prices I figure what the heck. So I picked up a couple.

1. Has a busted screen, no battery, but for $5 I figure maybe I can use the old screen from my CE.NET 4.2 Skeye Pad. But the shipping is another $12. So I contacted the seller and he agreed to combine the shipping if I bought a second which made it a total cost of $9.

2. The other Skeye Pad looked okay and came with a battery. Anyways I got them today. When I plugged it into my a/c adapter...nothing, nada...then I remembered...with my old Skeye Pad I had to hit the reset button and wait. So I gave that a shot. Reset it using the pinhole while holding down the power, or whatever...anyways, it came to life and works perfectly. This one was selling for $10 + $12 shipping.

So anyways for $31 I now have another pair of Skeye Pads, only these are CE5 which support all the wifi WPA security that CE.NET doesn't. Have no idea if the battery is going to charge or not. Have no idea what the heck I am going to do with them either. Otherwise they are pretty much identical...except the CE.NET one is blue and these are gray. Pictures below...

(sp1.jpg)

(sp2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sp1.jpg (168KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments sp2.jpg (223KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 10:30 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What a nice find Rich, congrats.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 10:37 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Still a bunch out there...seller only has devices, no extra batteries or a/c adapter, and the plug is a really little one, but any 12V adapter will power the thing if you can find the right plug size...which I just happen to have in my stash of adapters.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-03-20 10:49 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Very nice, Rich! Well done.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 10