x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2016-08-01 2:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hello

I've set up my old J720 on a secondary 128bit WEP network at home and have been trying to get access to my GMX.com or Gmail email. The Jornada is able to get online (NetFront and IE both allow web browsing) but I cannot get email access in nPOPuk (v3.03 with SSL)

I've used the Gmail.ini settings import from the nPOPuk website (edited with my own username etc), installed OpenSSL from HPCFactor, and put a copy of the resulting SSLeeay32.dll in the nPOPuk folder for good measure. An attempt to open the Gmail mailbox returns the following error: "Verify of SSL failed - unable to get local issuer certificate (20)". SSL is set for 'auto' in the Gmail.ini but I've tried all the other SSL options nPOPuk allows (STARTTLS, SSL 3.0, etc) to no avail.

Sending mail doesn't work either. After a few seconds of "connecting...", a pop-up error says "Server disconnected".

Attempts to set up access my GMX email account have the same results.

Anyone have an idea on how I can proceed, or has SSL now evolved beyond the reach of HPCs?

Nic
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2016-08-01 2:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Okay - I've solved it!

In nPOPuk's mailbox account settings, in the SSL settings, if I uncheck ‘verify the server certificaticates’, I can send and receive via Gmail.

I deactivated the OpenSSL.dll file (in Windows folder and nPOPuk folder) by editing its .dll suffix - so nPOPuk's own SSL tricks must work on their own.

Why bother? I still like the portability and relative distraction-free environment (read: not able to do much else on this machine) offered by my J720. If I can replicate this on my Psion NetBook Pro, I have its beautifully ergonomic keyboard too. If an old device can still send email, you can do all sorts of things with it and email rules/plugins server side, or make use of IFTTT email triggers.

Nic
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2016-08-05 4:53 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Great to hear you solved it! Would you be willing to write a 2016 Guide to using GMail with nPOPuk?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.109 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9