x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

I'm using a windows ce device again apparently

thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-17 1:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Just purchased a 2013 ford focus w/ ford sync mytouch over the weekend and apparently it uses Windows Embedded Automotive 7, which is basically Windows Embedded Compact 7

Never would have figured....Won't be doing any hacking though

Edited by thcrw739 2016-08-17 1:29 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-08-17 4:48 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, it's been out there that the Sync voice control system is CE-based. That was mentioned a few years ago on the old WindowsForDevices site. And there are still new in-dash car stereo units being sold that are also CE-based. (I see them on eBay every day.) Since my current car is on its last legs, I've been looking at newer cars, so I expect to have one of those soon too. I don't know if I'll be able to resist the urge to tinker with it.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-17 2:15 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

A $1000 to replace it would stop me from tinkering...
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-08-17 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hey, thcrw739,

Does your Ford come with Pocket Word?

Jake
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 3:55 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, Jake, typing documents while driving. What could possibly go wrong?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 6:57 AM
#
CE Geek - 2016-08-18 3:55 AM

Yeah, Jake, typing documents while driving. What could possibly go wrong?

Yeah, especially on the built in WinCE input panel that's so small it's best operated with a magnifying glass and a needle
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 1:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Since voice recognition is part of the system, how about simply dictating a letter after opening the editor and then sending the complete document to your smartphone via bluetooth?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Not only that, I've read that later model Ford Focuses can run on J-720 batteries. For cross-country trips, use the extended battery and YMMV.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 5:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well it runs a ui ford put on it, I'm not sure about running Ce apps.... The one i have is the 8" touch screen version that can control the air, radio, Nav ( which came with the deluxe Sony version with 10 speakers w/xm radio and other various options.. it does read text from your phone and such, but i haven't delved to deep yet... It uses has an sd card slot and usb, but i read the sd card is used for update on the ones with navigation... Have a 2003 focus with less than 55,000 we have had since 2005 and a 1999 Nissan Altima that has battery drain issues and has killed 2 battery's in a year (alternator is only couple years old), My wife went to go get her allergy shots and had a bad reaction and was rushed to the hospital, i had no car because the Nissan wasn't running, she was ok, so we decided to go out to get a newer car and make the old focus are secondary so we dont have the problem.

Edited by thcrw739 2016-08-18 5:09 PM
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 7:54 PM
#
The UI on those CE panels are pretty catastrophic. Instead of writing a Windows CE native GUI, the devs at ford went for Adobe ActionScript. The thought oft that literally makes me cringe. . .
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-19 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I suppose its fine if your not trying to hack or program it?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-19 10:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

That's what I figure Stephen, don't try messing with it and it is fine. BTW, what do you do in LV?
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-20 1:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well i'm a gigolo...... j/k Actually I was a land surveyor which i did in Georgia too., but fell i'll with chronic stomach & intestinal issues, so now i just help with all the house hold stuff...shopping etc, and do some occasional online things selling/buying to resell....etc..I also volunteer at a local nature preseve...nothing that makes obligated on a daily basis because i can fall very ill out of nowhere sometimes and be outta commission for a week or 2.

Edited by thcrw739 2016-08-20 1:45 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-20 11:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Sorry about the illness part, all I know about LV is what I see on TV. Been there once in 1972...don't remember much as my stay was just overnight passing through...but always wondered the attraction to the place...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 8