x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Octa-core What???

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 1:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So, I bought a new phone about a month ago. I wanted a good phone but didn't want to pay a huge amount. In my search I came across a few phones that said they were octa-core processors. After a bit of research, I found out that they were really dual quad-core processors... But, come on, 8 cores??? Really? They actually have quite a few phones with octa-core processors, however, I decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy J7. The specs for the J7 are below. After a month of use I can say I really like this phone! It is very fast, has a 5.5 inch screen, has a great 13mp camera, and I have had no issues with it. I bought it at Best Buy on sale for $199.00 If you are looking for a great phone for a a great price, take a look at the Galaxy J7. This phone puts the iphone I have to carry work work to shame...

Specifications
Display 5.5"
Size and Weight 6.0 x 3.1 x 0.3 inches
6.0 ounces
Operating System and Processor Android 6.0 Marshmallow
1.5 GHz Octa-Core Processor
Memory 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, Expandable up to 128GB
Battery Life Up to 21 hours talk time Up to 18 days standby time
Camera, Photos and Video 13MP Rear-Facing Camera 5MP Front-Facing Camera
Connectivity Sync methods: 802.11 b/g/n, UMTS/HSPA+ 42Mbps & LTE
4G Capable 4G LTE Capable
Wi-Fi and Mobile Calling
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 6:49 AM
#
Octa core CPUs are still pretty much useless in consumer devices, since no software really uses them. Theyre just designed to lure customers.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 2:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

So, comparing your Samsung to my Kyocera Hydro Reach...

You have a Porsche and I'm driving a Ford...

.......................................Samsung $199...............Kyocera $39

Display.........................5.5"................................5.0"
Size and Weight.......6.0"x3.1"x0.3"..............5.4"x2.84"x.39"
Weight:........................6.0oz..............................4.97oz
Android OS:...............6.0..................................5.1
CPU:.............................1.5GHz............................1.1GHz
......................................Octacore...........................Quadcore
Ram:............................2GB.................................1GB
Rom:............................16GB...............................8GB
Expandable:..............128GB.............................64GB
Battery Life:..............21 hours talk................12 hours talk
.....................................18 days standby............6.7 days standby
Front Camera:........5MP..................................2MP
Rear Camera:............13MP................................5MP
Connectivity:.............802.11 b/g/n.....................802.11 b/g/n
....................................UMTS/HSPA+LTE................CDMA, FDD LTE, TDD LTE, LTE Cat 40 )
....................................4G Capable 4G LTE Capable...4G Capable 4G LTE Capable

I would have bought what you did if I had the extra money and could talk my wife into it...but alas, she limits my spending. My monthly unlimited everything with Boost Mobile is $30/month.

The one thing I like about my Kyocera is that it works fine under water. You can even use the touch screen while submerged. My old Kyocera Hydro Icon was waterproof, but under water the screen was non-responsive. This one is better. Yet in many ways, the Icon was a better built phone. Better cameras, gorilla glass, more internal memory, and it seemed faster.

This Hydro Reach quickly maxes out the memory. Good thing I can use a micro SD card and move apps there otherwise I would be screwed. Also you can tell it isn't quite as responsive when you are playing games on it. Still the video casting works great on my large screen TV, so no complaints on buffering with multimedia.

Anyways, sounds like you got a great deal on that Samsung...they are always more expensive and for good reason...they make really great quality smartphones and tablets. I still use my Samsung Galaxy I as a GPS in my car and it's going on 10 years old!

If money was unlimited I think I'd buy a CAT S60 smartphone or a Samsung S7.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 5:16 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I just got a new phone for my birthday on the 7th, I looked at the Samsung Galaxy J7, but went with a nexus 5x (it was on sale for $219, my zte zmax was running like a turtle and wouldn't get text messages... I wanted the new Zmax pro but it's only metro pcs and i use that tmobile $30 plan.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-18 7:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

It says something that our phones are more pwerful than our old pentium 4 machines...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-08-19 2:44 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I got a SoftBank Sony Xperia Z5 recently changing from au Sony Xperia Z3. Octacore monster. The only thing is since it has so many cores, it tends to be warm at times.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-19 8:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

yeah the SD808 gets warm too, but not as bad as the SD617 in the Motorola g4 plus i sent back before the nexus 5x..that g4 plus would get hot enough at the ear to make you pull it away.

Edited by thcrw739 2016-08-19 8:58 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-19 11:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

My ASUS tablet gets warm too, but only when playing Clash of Clans or anything that is graphic intensive. Otherwise it is luke warm to cool. My phone is the same way. Only warm with heavy graphic (cpu) taxing.

My old Garmin handheld GPS which was mounted on my snowmobile, would get sluggish really bad in minus 40F weather. You really learned that an LCD screen was a liquid at that temp. If I would have had an octocore gps maybe that would have kept it warm enough to use it without having to stick it in your shirt to warm it up when taking a fix...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-08-20 10:29 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

SwizzleDude - 2016-08-18 9:49 AM

Octa core CPUs are still pretty much useless in consumer devices, since no software really uses them. Theyre just designed to lure customers.

... given that no programs try to make shady things in background like a handful of Android software does.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2016-08-21 6:08 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

thcrw739 - 2016-08-18 11:16 AM

I just got a new phone for my birthday on the 7th, I looked at the Samsung Galaxy J7, but went with a nexus 5x (it was on sale for $219, my zte zmax was running like a turtle and wouldn't get text messages... I wanted the new Zmax pro but it's only metro pcs and i use that tmobile $30 plan.

My zmax was on its last leg as well. It served its purpose... and was well worth the investment compared to the competition at the time.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2016-08-21 2:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yoldering - 2016-08-20 10:08 PM

thcrw739 - 2016-08-18 11:16 AM

My zmax was on its last leg as well. It served its purpose... and was well worth the investment compared to the competition at the time.

Agreed,

I still kinda hope they make a t mobile or unlocked z max pro available, i would get it as a secondary phone or even perhaps sell off the nexus 5x...its got nice specs for the price.

Edited by thcrw739 2016-08-21 2:33 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8