x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SD-to-USB Adapter?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-08-29 2:00 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm either googling it wrong or it doesn't exist: is there an usb adapter that fits an sd card slot? Meaning that you insert card into sd slot and on the adapter's other side is a usb port. Or is that apples and oranges?

Jake

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-08-29 6:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I think a key issue is voltage. USB is 5v and SD is 3.3v at its absolute highest, lower for newer interfaces. It would need to be externally powered.

CF is 5v, hence it's possible there.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-08-30 2:37 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

You mean like this?

(ImageCorp_20160829203602.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ImageCorp_20160829203602.jpg (42KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-08-30 8:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2016-08-29 10:20 AM

CF is 5v, hence it's possible there.

Thus the Ratoc and Solar Express cards.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-08-30 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Many thanks, people, for the heads-up. Rich, I looked up the Mobiadapter. Not much written instruction, so it's hard to tell if it will only power usb sticks or something more complicated such as a usb modem.

I don't know how you found that thing. You tickle those google ivories better than I do.

Jake

Edited by Jake 2016-08-30 9:14 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-08-31 8:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10163/usb-flash-drives-power-consumption-measurement-using-plugables-usbctkey
Coming back to our original intent of measuring the power consumed by USB peripherals such as flash drives, it is obvious that we need to be measuring the voltage and current on the VBUS line. This aspect has suddenly become something to care about because of the number of mobile devices supporting 'OTG'. Not all mobile devices are able to provide the 900 mA output current to 'bus-power' attached devices. Note that the initial specification for USB only had provisions for 0.75 watts of power – 150 mA at 5 V. USB 2.0 bumped that to 500 mA, or 2.5 watts, and USB 3.0 specified 900 mA at 5 V, or 4.5 watts. Understanding the power consumption profile of a flash drive is essential to determine whether it can be safely used with a particular mobile device. It can also help in understanding the impact of usage on the battery life of a mobile device. From a technical viewpoint, it also gives insight into the efficiency of the USB peripheral itself.

If it runs at 3.3v, it'll chew your battery to bits

Pretty cool though
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9