x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Bluetooth Activesync Setup?

Jake Page Icon Posted 2016-09-26 8:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I have a Lenovo S10-3t laptop running XP SP3, Activesync 3.8, a J720 (with J728 ROM). Through the wondrous Rich Hawley, I have a Socket BT compact flash, and I have successfully paired the Lenovo and the Jornada.

Digging into the forum here, "you can unofficially sync via Bluetooth in ActiveSync 3 by mounting the BT device as serial..."

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9312&pos...

Not quite sure how to go about that, and I would like to keep AS 3.8 going, rather than update to 4.* and lose syncing with my older HPC's.

Any pointers would be much appreciated,
Jake
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 7:36 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I imagine you have figured this out by now. But I had a similar question, and finally made it work.

I have a Dell D620 with Win XP (with ActiveSync 3.8) on one end, and a J720 with 728 ROM/RAM on the other.
AS connected via USB from the docking cradle, but I couldn't get AS to work with Bluetooth.
Using Total Commander with the CE plugin on the Laptop, the full file structure of the J720/728 was available,
and file transfers were easy.

The J720/728 has an Ambicom BT2000-CF with the CE drivers installed.
I was able to transfer files one at a time, using the BT utility on the laptop, but could not get connected via AS on Bluetooth.

Here's what I found...
On the J720/728, Control Panel \ Communications \ must be set to your Bluetooth device.
Also, the ActiveSync on the device must be set to the Bluetooth device.

On the Laptop, using the BT utility,
- under Bluetooth settings \ Options - Turn discovery On
- under Bluetooth settings \ Ports - Select Add. In my system, it added Com 6 for "incoming."
I could not get it to add an "outgoing" port.
- under ActiveSync \ connection settings - Check 'allow Serial cable or Infrared...' and Select the above Com port.

ActiveSync must be instructed to connect at both ends.
AS does not make the Bluetooth connection automatically.
On the Laptop, ActiveSync... go through the Get Connected steps.
At the same time, On the J720/728 ActiveSync dialogue, Click "Connect."

It may take a few cycles before the connection is made. But then, you should have full access to the J720/728 via Total Commander.

Hope that helps...

Edited by Dave Wurm 2017-02-04 7:39 PM
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-02-05 12:39 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Oops... I left a step out of my previous post. Here is the previous post with the missing step included.
--------------------
I imagine you have figured this out by now. But I had a similar question, and finally made it work.

I have a Dell D620 with Win XP (with ActiveSync 3.8) on one end, and a J720 with 728 ROM/RAM on the other.
AS connected via USB from the docking cradle, but I couldn't get AS to work with Bluetooth.
Using Total Commander with the CE plugin on the Laptop, the full file structure of the J720/728 was available,
and file transfers were easy.

Here's what I found...
On the J720/728, Control Panel \ Communications \ must be set to your Bluetooth device.
Also, the ActiveSync on the device must be set to the Bluetooth device.

On the Laptop, using the BT utility,
- under Bluetooth settings \ Options - Turn discovery On
- under Bluetooth settings \ Ports - Select Add. In my system, it added "Com 6" for "incoming."
I could not get it to add an "outgoing" port.
- under ActiveSync \ connection settings - Check 'allow Serial cable or Infrared...' and Select the above Com port.

On the J720/728,
- Activate Bluetooth
- Search for or Select your Laptop for pairing.
- Wait until the J720/728 and Laptop are "paired" or "bonded"
(on the Ambicom 'Blue Neighbors' program, this is shown under the Device tab, Properties "bonding" window).

ActiveSync must be instructed to connect at both ends.
AS does not make the Bluetooth connection automatically.
On the Laptop, ActiveSync... go through the Get Connected steps.
At the same time, On the J720/728 ActiveSync dialogue, Click "Connect."

It may take a few cycles before the connection is made (requiring you to click "Connect" each time on the J720\728).
Once connected, you should have full access to the J720/728 via Total Commander
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 1:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Hi, Dave,

Many thanks for your post and your follow-up. It hadn't occurred to me to use TC's serial layout and I'm going to try out your instructions as soon as I get back from a travel trip.

One thing: using your setup, have you been able to sync contacts/calendar/PIM stuff? Or is this strictly for file transfers?

Again, I appreciate your time here,
Jake
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2017-02-06 8:54 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi Jake,

Thus far, I have not been using contacts/calendar/PIM on the J720/728.

However, when connecting via Bluetooth through ActiveSync, as soon as AS connects, it says it is syncing and shows a progress bar. So, it looks like sync should work for you.

On the laptop Total Commander, I have installed the CE plugin. The J720/728 files show up under My NetWork Places \ WinCE Device.

There are some other serial plugins for TC. I looked into them a little, thinking that it might be possible to connect without AS. From what I have read, the CE plugin (which requires AS) is the one to use with the J720/728.

I was unable to connect the J720/728 to the internet via Bluetooth through the laptop. I imagine this would be possible, with changes to various settings.

Glad to be of some help,
Dave
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9