x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Windows 10 Pocket PC

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-16 9:17 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ockel-sirius-a-the-world-s-most-v...

Windows 10
Ethernet
USB 3
HDMI
DisplayPort

... if only it had a keyboard
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-16 4:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I'd rather use the on-screen keyboard than try to type on a little one like the J720 has. Plus using a full size USB keyboard is fine for when you need it...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-16 4:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What are you doing on a Handheld PC website? Go buy an iPhone and graze *points*

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-10-16 10:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Shouldn't be too hard to build a Bluetooth or USB keyboard in a similar size. But you still wouldn't have a real clamshell device.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-17 9:22 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

As the years go by I find that voice recognition has become very accurate...even without training your device.

as the years go by I find the voice recognition has become very accurate even without training your device

I typed the first line and spoke the second at normal speed....
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-10-19 7:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

*playing along*

I am not always fine with exposing all my thoughts to surrounding people.

Plus it is magnitude faster to copy-paste-select with ctrl, shift, switch between windows with alt-tab and scroll with pgup/pgdown and use miriads of shortcuts in different programs.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-20 10:10 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I laugh at people who think that voice recognition is the future. Those people have clearly never worked in an office before.

I personally don't want my voice being shipped up to a cloud service to create an identification and data mining profile on everything I happen to say when in proximity to my IT.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-20 6:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I don't believe it is the way of the future...but I do believe it has a place with small mobile handheld devices.
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2016-10-21 10:00 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
OK, Rich, try Alt-Bass's sentence on your voice recognition system::

Plus it is magnitude faster to copy-paste-select with ctrl, shift, switch between windows with alt-tab and scroll with pgup/pgdown and use miriads of shortcuts in different programs.

Michel
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-10-21 11:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Rich Hawley - 2016-10-20 9:39 PM

I don't believe it is the way of the future...but I do believe it has a place with small mobile handheld devices.

There is always a place for everything given that you promote it hard enough.

Speaking of myself: if I cannot find time to stop and type the text probably it is not significant. I cannot remember the time when I could lay out a thought but could not find time for typing it.

Sure, voice recognition can be a viable input type for a watch and yes, many people may prefer to compromise the accuracy and performance for some weight gain. The question is: is that weight saving so significant and valuable? Will people learn to communicate better with it?

My answer is: no. A text recognized from voice can only be worse, it is more complex to rethink parts of it and enhance it (same can be said about touch screens and finger-targeted UIs in particular).

Given the recent advancement of internet connections it is much more logical to send messages as voice records if one cannot use the keyboard instead of reducing them to text.

Electronic keyboards reduced the handwriting to the pre-rendered characters (I was dreaming about posting and messaging using handwriting recently) but at least they improved the speed of communication. Voice recognition reduces the speed of communication and reduces the quality of text even further.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-10-21 11:10 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-10-21 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

When you talk about mobile devices, think: did manufacturers really nail the HPC factor? Is there really no room for improvement? A very compact clamshell device can be made with recent tech advancements but there is none.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-10-21 12:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Most of the IT sector is focused now on content consumption, not creation. Tablets and Smart Phone devices (hardware and their UI's) are designed around the consumption of material and where creation and input are secondary factors. The H/PC tried to cling onto the last remnants of the idea that mobility was still about experiencing some degree of productivity. It lost as there is no revenue stream in it; but there is in serving content out to people.

The size and convenience of a bar phone is undeniable. The utility of a tablet for flicking about on while in a zombified state on the sofa equally so. Productivity devices got relegated to the 11" and above mark, which, to be fair do offer more comfort than anything smaller, but at the cost of the portability.

Voice recognition is something that I see more aligned with a touch screen. If you have a full laptop with a touch screen (I have an XPS 13) you (I) find oneself using the touch screen as part of the routine of navigation. Scrolling, tapping, getting rid of alerts and dialogues are far easier with a quick flick of the wrist compared to having to bother with the monstrous pain of the trackpad. Voice Recognition is probably going to find its home in the Cortana's of the world (as much as I personally resent them for the privacy implications). It's a companion device (do you remember when the H/PC was a companion device?).

Even the likes of Roddenberry never thought that the Voice Recognition system in the Star Trek world would replace interfaces. The bridges and science stations had key input, people didn't write everything audibly and people still read. The system was used as an interface to the compliment the computer systems and as an aid (why write your report when in creating your audible log it will auto-transcribe it into a report for you). I think this balance is likely where it will remain for voice recognition technologies.

So with recent revelations about the US government now having some 50% of the US population data mined into a face recognition database, should we be worried about the implications of Cortana and Siri. About mics listening incessantly, 24/7 to everything we say and do. Smart TV's listening and watching as you consume and someone else's devices harvesting data on the rest of us who try - but have no real way what so ever - to opt-out.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2016-10-21 11:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

plus it is magnitude faster to copy - paste - select with control, shift, switch between Windows with alt - Tab and scroll with page up / page down and use myriads of shortcuts in different programs.

and that is for you Michelle Bell

oops voice recognition does not like your name.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-10-22 1:50 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

LOL
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-10-23 12:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Speaking of my personal thoughts about the UI / interface I find:

As I get more used to Linux / Unix and even Windows, I find it most useful just to have a ssh client to connect to a server / cluster remotely.
H/PC is probably the best form factor ever, as we always say amongst ourselves (and I think it's true).
Somehow I become more and more "backwards", becoming a nano and vim user via ssh. I often tell myself, I'm going in the right direction...

Voice recognition in Japanese is not very good as English yet, Siri needs improvement. Though I must admit it has become a lot better than it used to.
Voice recognition using my Google Nexus Player needs work even in English, probably due to my faint Japanese accent. It sometimes become hilarious results...

I hear in the web that chatbots are to be the new UI.
http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2016/03/24/chatbots-and-chat-interfac...

I wish more devs still held interest in this wonderful form factor (H/PC).
I might as well learn a bit more C++ and port wget to Windows CE

-stingraze

Edited by stingraze 2016-10-23 12:16 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9