x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Printing a handheld PC

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-19 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Why did you change over to MP900s, Muzzy? Were the clocks not nutritious enough?

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-11-19 8:33 PM
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-11-22 1:17 PM
#
Umm What is that?
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-22 1:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

So it's time to think a little bit about the OS that would work best for a printed HPC.

My initial thought was to use Linux. That makes it a real PC in the palm of your hand. Think back to the 200LX days. But the difference is Linux takes time to boot. The 200LX was instant on. So it would be hard to whip out the printed HPC, turn it on, and type a note, in 3 seconds or less.

So now I am thinking Chrome OS, especially if I can find an instant on version, and a version that runs Android apps. Am I asking too much? The Chromebooks can run Android apps now... and they are instant on!

Mike...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-22 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

SwizzleDude - 2016-11-22 4:17 PM

Umm What is that?

I tried to make a joke based on assumtion that one may use that amount of MP900c as nutrients.

Muzzy is a fictional cartoon character who kept clock diet.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-23 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

IIRC, all these display can be used with 96boards CE boards:

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatI...

That is, MIPI DSI interfaced LCD with no more than 4 lanes or fewer (depends on the board).
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-11-23 10:53 PM
#
mikeschn - 2016-11-22 1:40 PM

So it's time to think a little bit about the OS that would work best for a printed HPC.

My initial thought was to use Linux. That makes it a real PC in the palm of your hand. Think back to the 200LX days. But the difference is Linux takes time to boot. The 200LX was instant on. So it would be hard to whip out the printed HPC, turn it on, and type a note, in 3 seconds or less.

So now I am thinking Chrome OS, especially if I can find an instant on version, and a version that runs Android apps. Am I asking too much? The Chromebooks can run Android apps now... and they are instant on!

Mike...

Nobody here wants to run Linux or Chrome OS. Besides, Chrome OS is device dependant.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Nobody here wants to run Linux or Chrome OS.

I do, and many others do, I'm sure....

Edited by stingraze 2016-11-24 3:31 AM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

SwizzleDude - 2016-11-24 1:53 AM

Nobody here wants to run Linux or Chrome OS. Besides, Chrome OS is device dependant.

I cannot argue against Linux distro's. Windows CE was valuable when there was some new soft written for it. There is none nowadays (software for embedded devices does not count).

If anything I would prefer to NOT run Windows CE.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-11-24 8:38 AM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 12:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hmmm... yea, I don't think windows CE is the answer. And I'm not sure we want to go back as far as DOS.

Here are 3 chrome type OS's that might work... https://www.linux.com/learn/which-linux-chrome-os-clone-right-you

And there's always the React OS... http://reactos.com/

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2016-11-24 12:30 PM
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 12:33 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

What is Chrome OS? Looked at the article, looks lame.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 12:50 PM
#
Alt Bass - 2016-11-24 12:33 PM

What is Chrome OS? Looked at the article, looks lame.

It IS haha, I owned a chromebook for a while, worst experience ever. It's rather fast, but completely unusable without an Internet connection. Also, you can't trust anything on it, as it's bound to google
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 12:52 PM
#
mikeschn - 2016-11-24 12:21 PM

Hmmm... yea, I don't think windows CE is the answer. And I'm not sure we want to go back as far as DOS.

Here are 3 chrome type OS's that might work... https://www.linux.com/learn/which-linux-chrome-os-clone-right-you

And there's always the React OS... http://reactos.com/

Mike...

What do you mean? Windows CE has nothing to do with DOS. Also, why "back"? Latest Windows CE version is of 2013, support till 2030.
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 1:23 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

SwizzleDude - 2016-11-24 7:52 AM

What do you mean? Windows CE has nothing to do with DOS. Also, why "back"? Latest Windows CE version is of 2013, support till 2030.

I was only looking at a time line...

I probably should have put DOS in it's own paragraph!!!

Mike...
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2016-11-24 2:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

SwizzleDude - 2016-11-24 3:52 PM

Windows CE was backed up by HPC market back then, this is what made companies to write new software for it, it is not anymore.

Today consumer devices are made with Windows 10 (Mobile?), Windows CE is not backed up as consumer OS anymore. You have increasing chance of not being able to use a file because nobody made software which supports it, modern media codecs are the most obvious example: there is no consumer software to playback them on Windows CE, CorePlayer is discontinued for years already.

Even if there is a specific software for Windows CE, the choice is extremely limited. Like, what modern browser other than ZetaKey runs on Windows CE? ZetaKey seems to be finger-oriented consumer software, what if I do not like it?

Good luck finding a set of software which will both support all modern files and provide seamless keyboard integration - it is, it won't require to swap, drag, touch and whatever.

Edited by Alt Bass 2016-11-24 2:45 PM
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2016-11-25 4:06 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

stingraze - 2016-11-23 7:20 PM

Nobody here wants to run Linux or Chrome OS.

I do, and many others do, I'm sure....

+1. Also a Linux fan.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11