x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jlime.com is gone - GCC on Jornada 680?

1 2
Aeneas Page Icon Posted 2016-12-05 10:16 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi everybody.

I acquired a nice retro-thingy, a HP Jornada 680. For this, I wanted Linux. And it turns out, once upon a (not too long ago) time, there was a nice Linux distribution named Jlime.

This resided, not too surprisingly, on Jlime.com.

Jlime.com is now GONE.

I did manage to fish out of the gutter of the internet, web.archive.org, a working version - and successfully installed it. - Apparently, Jlime also had a repository, namely:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090921090102/http://repository.jlime.c...

http://jornada680.wikidot.com/applications

- But I did not find a snapshot for that thing. Which is highly unpleasant, as it seens to have included GCC there.

So... where do you propose can one get Jlime packages, and particularly GCC on Jornada 680? Or for any other Linux distribution for Jornada 680, perhaps?

(Assume, for now, I am not fiddling with NetBSD.)

Edited by Aeneas 2016-12-05 10:17 AM
 Top of the page
TapamN Page Icon Posted 2016-12-05 11:19 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I backed up the entire repos for both the Jornada 690 and Jornada 720/NEC MobilePro 900 JLimes a while ago, since, seeing that the JLime forum was shutdown, I was worried about the site deteriorating and going offline. It went offline only a few weeks after I finished the backup.

The J690 repo alone is about 1.8 gigabytes, so it's not that easy to upload. Does anyone have any suggestions on how and where to upload it? Mega?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2016-12-05 12:45 PM
#
TapamN - 2016-12-05 11:19 AM

I backed up the entire repos for both the Jornada 690 and Jornada 720/NEC MobilePro 900 JLimes a while ago, since, seeing that the JLime forum was shutdown, I was worried about the site deteriorating and going offline. It went offline only a few weeks after I finished the backup.

The J690 repo alone is about 1.8 gigabytes, so it's not that easy to upload. Does anyone have any suggestions on how and where to upload it? Mega?

Don't use mega. Split the file into multiple rar archives and upload them to zippyshare.com
 Top of the page
Aeneas Page Icon Posted 2016-12-11 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I would be really extremely grateful if you people can put the repos online somehow.

I would suggest dropbox or google drive (you can create "public" files there).
 Top of the page
TapamN Page Icon Posted 2016-12-14 2:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g4u4z33cw77jojj/vargtass.zip?dl=0

Here's the repo for the SH3 based Jornadas. Ideally, you have a large enough CF card to fit the entire repo on, since there are a lot of packages that need to be installed to get GCC usable. Beyond just the gcc, packages I can think of binutils, gdb, symlink (like g++/gcc -symlinks_4.2.2-r7_sh3), and *-dev packages for library headers. You'll also want screen installed, to get more virtual terminals (JLime is compiled to have just two terminals). Screen requires ncurses. You'll probably want man pages, which are installed from *-doc packages (I remember needing to do some extra configuration to get them working since the man pages are installed to a place man doesn't look at by default).

With optimization turned off, I find compile times to be pretty reasonable, but I'm used to longer compile-to-run times than most because I do embedded dev. and am used to spending time having to reset and upload code to a device. Heavy preprocessor use and large headers can take a long time to process. They can also cause GCC to start swapping, compounding the problem. And optimization will make things worse. You might want to look into getting a 690 for the extra RAM if you plan on heavily using it. (It doesn't need to be a good 690, you can get a crap one and move the RAM/ROM card into your 680). I use a 690 to do coding when taking my mom to doctor's appointments.
 Top of the page
Karpour Page Icon Posted 2016-12-18 8:25 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Hm, I sure hope jlime.com will be on again soon :/ Would be a shame
 Top of the page
Aeneas Page Icon Posted 2016-12-18 9:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

That was GREAT, TapamN, that really helped!!

I actually managed even to port a little lisp interpreter...

Any chance to do upload such an archive for the Jornada 720, too? - It would be a shame if that would be lost... I know it had a Debian port, but perhaps your archive will save someone a lot of trouble in the future! (I have a friend who positively does have a J720, not sure about Linux.)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-12-18 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Aeneas - 2016-12-19 6:29 AM

That is very cool!

I've been learning to program in Lisp bit by bit since 2013, and all that artificial intelligence hype makes me want to port some sort of classic A.I. program for Windows CE machines by using Linux / NetBSD on Windows CE.
 Top of the page
Aviv_Av Page Icon Posted 2016-12-27 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I installed Jlime for the first time today, and found out that it doesn't even have a settings screen to change the time or screen brightness. Is it something I should install myself? I wish I did all that before the forums went down
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-12-27 10:46 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If you can somehow compile or install xbacklight you can control the backlight brightness from command line in Linux.

How to use:
xbacklight -set 50 # set brightness to 50
xbacklight -inc 10 # increase brightness 10%
xbacklight -dec 10 # decrease brightness 10%

I have never tried it on Jlime so I don't know if it will work, but good luck.

Edited by stingraze 2016-12-27 10:53 PM
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2016-12-28 7:22 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

stingraze - 2016-12-18 5:35 PM

Aeneas - 2016-12-19 6:29 AM

That is very cool!

I've been learning to program in Lisp bit by bit since 2013, and all that artificial intelligence hype makes me want to port some sort of classic A.I. program for Windows CE machines by using Linux / NetBSD on Windows CE.

Have you tried using NetBSD on the Jornada yet? I've been meaning to but haven't had the time yet. From what I understand, the very latest versions of the OS support the Jornada hardware.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2016-12-28 8:38 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

No, unfortunately I haven't tried NetBSD on Jornada since I don't own Jornada... (I have owned Mobile Pro 900 and put in Jlime though)

I have however tried NetBSD on Sigmarion 1 by NEC, and sure enough it is pretty cool! The only thing I haven't managed to work is X window system, but I think it will work. Also, the Sigmarion 1 only has one Compact Flash card as expansion slot so I will have to use the serial cable (which I have) to connect to the internet.

You can see the picture of Sigmarion 1 running NetBSD here: https://twitter.com/stingraze/status/810287293349105664

I think things will begin to get interesting once I experiment with this superb mixture of legacy device and latest OS.
There are a few people I found on the internet who still play with Sigmarion 1 installing NetBSD to my surprise! :-)

In the future, I do intend to get a Jornada 720 on eBay.

-stingraze
 Top of the page
Aviv_Av Page Icon Posted 2016-12-29 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the tip stingraze, I think I'll stick with CE, unless Jlime's website comes back from the dead
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2016-12-30 5:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to H/PC Linux / Unix
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2016-12-31 11:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

TapamN - 2016-12-05 11:19 AM

How large is the total file set that you have TapamN?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 12