x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

English-language settings in Japanese CE 2.0?

adwmil Page Icon Posted 2016-12-24 11:17 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does Windows CE 2.0 (Japanese Version) have settings so "Pocket Word" will operate in English?
If so, a description of the settings and how to put them in place would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-01-02 10:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, the Japanese version of legacy Windows CE was fully localised, it did not make use of IME and localisation until later releases.
 Top of the page
Jinnai Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just got a japanese PDA, it is very confusing. I hear if you replace the ROM with an english one it'll work.... that applies to NEC devices.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 3:09 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I am Japanese, I can translate UI to English if you want. I have experience with it. Will be glad to help out.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2018-06-23 8:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Yes and no with rom swap. For instance, the Japanese NEC Mobilegear MCR-550 is electronically the same as the NEC Mobilepro 790. You can swap out the rom chips. You can add the memory chips as well.

The problem lies in that the keyboards are different and the key presses only work properly on some parts of the keyboard. You have to actually remap the keys with software to make them work properly to get all the Roman alphabetic characters to display.

Of course you could choose to simply use an onscreen keyboard, but then why have a keyboard, right?

The other part of the problem is that if you count the data lines in the ribbon cable that is connected from the keyboard to the main motherboard, the Mobilepro has 2 data lines less than the Mobilegear device, so swapping them out isn't an option...

Yet, just a year earlier, the MCR-300 and MP700 were twins that you could swap out keyboards with on either machine. But there was no rom swap possible...go figure the evolution of handheld pcs...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.175 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 27