x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD/hpcmips not installing correctly on Mobilepro 880?

bungholio Page Icon Posted 2017-01-11 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

A while back I tried to install NetBSD/hpcmips on my 880. I could not get it to work, however I could get it to work with a copy from (if I remember correctly) 2004 or so.

I believe I used 2 CF cards, one for the loader and one to install the OS to. (If I did it today, I would partition it to have a FAT partition as well as the several NetBSD partitions.)

I can't fully replicate this because I put my (broken) 790's ROM in my 880 but I was stupid enough at the time to throw away the 880's ROM.

Does anyone know 1. why newer versions of NetBSD won't install correctly and 2. (slightly off-topic) if the SH3 version works/installs correctly on the Jornada 6xx series? I'm planning on getting a Jornada and I'd rather deal with BSD than JLime as a more modern alternative to Windows CE. (I'll still use CE!)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-01-14 6:43 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

So you mean you have a 790 ROM on a 880 form factor...

Hmm... I'm wondering which version of NetBSD/hpcmips you should run it that case.
First of all 790 and 880's screen resolution are different.

I've installed a recent version of NetBSD (7.99) on my Sigmarion 1 which have a similar MIPS CPU so I know it should work on your 880, although I don't know where to get the OS from off the bat.
 Top of the page
bungholio Page Icon Posted 2017-01-16 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

IIRC the NetBSD/hpcmips kernel is the same across all MIPS machines, the only difference is the bootloader's framebuffer setting.

Thus, even though my 880 has a 790 ROM, the framebuffer type should be set to "MobilePro 880".
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-01-16 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I see then, this one might work...

Except things like this are different.

Keyboard layout checkpoint:
/etc/wscons.conf
#encoding sv
#encoding us.swapctrlcaps
encoding jp

/root/.xinitrc