x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Yet Another 7" Computer

1 2 3 4
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 4:02 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I also recently discovered things like this exist https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.m_lang.leena&hl=en ....
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 4:45 PM
#
H/PC Elder

That's like copying Continuum? Except it doesn't run any external apps at all... So its more like windows RT desktop hehe
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 5:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

takwu - 2017-01-30 8:45 AM

That's like copying Continuum? Except it doesn't run any external apps at all... So its more like windows RT desktop hehe

Although it gives you a desktop with the ability to multitask windows like RT or Continuum , You can still install & run all the android apps you already used & the thousands of other ones that you might use eventually as t does not change the base platform or processor arch.... just the ui. Can't really do that with the couple of attempts by microsoft like RT & Continuum...The app library & x86 compatibility is a joke in comparison.

Edited by thcrw739 2017-01-30 5:05 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

So can you run normal android apps in that desktop ui? If not then its same as RT desktop. RT can still run many apps in metro UI, but you cannot install anything in desktop.

Continuum supports apps that are written for it.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-01-30 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

takwu - 2017-01-30 9:21 AM

So can you run normal android apps in that desktop ui? If not then its same as RT desktop. RT can still run many apps in metro UI, but you cannot install anything in desktop.

Continuum supports apps that are written for it.

Yes, You can run normal apps in windows on the desktop, that's one of the whole points, besides the ability to drag and drop files from one place to another...., if you look earlier in the thread I talk about remix os, & there is another one called Pheonix OS both are built with the ui so they work even better...both android based.

Edited by thcrw739 2017-01-30 10:45 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-01 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well the iView Unison came, but it was DOA.... Which with my luck & cheap electronics i'm not surprised... Normally it's the screen, but they didn't disappoint completely, not only did it not turn on after trying numerous button combinations & reset methods, but there was a corner of the top layer of screen coming up as many cheapies do...Returned...

Anyway, So there's this other one its called the PRO12, the build quality seems really decent for generic...It actually reminds me of the tinybook build wise... generic, not pretty, flat black and old school looking design for were the speakers and such are...but built solid a like a brick & runs well ( tested one at walmart). I think i'm going to get one. It is much bigger, cost more, & runs stock android but runs it well, it also has decent reviews on walmart.com in comparison to other cheapies.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-02-01 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
What a bummer! All the posting and anticipation...

Good recovery, though. I might've tried again w/ same machine but you're wise to move to a better one.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-03 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I decided to try the iVision Gemini ... since it's now down to $92 & I just couldn't justify $227.00 on a generic android tablet no matter how nice it is.... However, for $92 as long as it everything works i'll take some shabby build quality if there is some..Should be here tomorrow, but possibly monday....so still get to try remix os
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-02-03 9:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah, under $100 does give a certain permission to flounder in certain areas. I'm dying to use my usb modem w/ my Voyager, but every time I look at the receipt, I can't get too exercised.

Hope the machine comes through soon,
Jake
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 10:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

So I went to RCA website to check out the Voyager that jupps and jake bought... There are a few "reviews" but some are just complaining the thing didn't work at all... I suppose jupps and jake never had an issue?

Also now there is a Voyager Pro, which has a MediaTek ARM processor and a higher MSRP.

I am really confused which is which at Walmart.com tho
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 1:43 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I bought through Amazon, this one. So far--knock on wood--I haven't had trouble. But no root, no boot unlocker, no ROMS, so far...

Let me know you need more info,
Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 2:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I wish those RCA's had 2gb of ram.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 3:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Fast Reboot Pro, which can sit in your drop-down systray menu, clears things fairly well, even without root.

I haven't suffered memory issues yet, but I have had to switch from Chrome to Opera--Chrome, at least w/ this device, no longer appears to support fit-to-page. So I was constantly pinching and zooming, but Opera much better about fitting everything on page regardless of font size.

The bookmark synching is a pain. My current workaround is to install Opera on the desktop, install Chrome extension utilizer on Opera, then Xmarks for Chrome. From there, you upload your Chrome stuff to Xmarks and from there, download to Opera. Desktop Opera then autsyncs with Android Opera.

Worth the hassle as Chrome browsing was driving me mad.

Jake
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 3:49 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I guess my preference is a smooth out of the box experience these days, with very little tinkering/tweaking. However if its something new & interesting like that remix os... i'm still willing to fiddle
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-07 7:48 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well long story short, Stay away from Iview brand... Now making the story longer, since i was so close to put out $227 on that bigger one i mentioned before i just happend upon this up for preorder yesterday and avalible today...so i went for it... apparently i should get good build quality & Lenovo's android ui i coded with phoenix OS which is similar to Remix os, so you get windowed apps and multitasking...Hopefully i get lucky with this one...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.253 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8