x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Looks like microsoft might be having a go at chrome os or perhaps another mobile?

1 2
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-03 9:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

https://liliputing.com/2017/02/microsofts-rumored-windows-10-cloud-o...

Interesting.

Edited by thcrw739 2017-02-03 9:37 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 7:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

". . . sources say that Windows Cloud is basically a spiritual successor to Windows RT: a light-weight version of Windows that’s designed to only run Windows Store apps."

Sounds real familiar . . .

Maybe they'll call it Windows Chrome Edition, or Windows CE for short.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 9:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

a new Win RT could mean a return of ARM based Win tablet... the original Surface and Surface 2 had ARM and ran RT. The Surface 3 had an x86, but it was even more short lived than its predecessors.

Is it even possible MS could bring a free upgrade to Surface 1 and/or 2? Specs are pretty outdated by now, but who knows

So maybe a new Surface (non-pro) will have ARM again?

WINTEL just needs this every once in a while eh
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

CE Geek - 2017-02-04 4:49 PM
Maybe they'll call it Windows Chrome Edition, or Windows CE for short.

Haha! :-) That's funny.

I think the whole Windows 10 Cloud idea will do pretty good for some people, especially students with tight budget or schools buying in bulk.

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-04 9:52 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 9:58 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It's got the creators of Steam upset again because of the lack of the Win32 support. Ultimately though the Surface 1/2 failed for 2 reasons, Windows 8 and lack of apps. Microsoft may be slowly making roads into the former (for better and worse) but they aren't on the latter.
I am not sure what they're out to achieve, they're still investing in Windows Phone despite letting it die... so why this? Until they fix the problem underpinning their ecosystem to launch this off of, what can they expect to happen?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 10:01 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Am I the only one who is beginning to think Windows is getting fragmented? e.g. bash on Windows etc. and this Windows 10 Cloud. or, were they like that ....

I'm not saying it's a bad thing but. yeah.

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-04 10:04 AM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 1:34 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

How Microsoft ever became so wealthy sure wasn't under the guidance of those in charge today. They should just stop and give up with all their wild ideas, because it is too late.

There are 2 players in the phone system today, Android and Apple, and it will be that way until phones are replaced with intracranial implants. They might have had a chance early, but they didn't try to integrate the Windows CE portion with the phone until it was too late and Android was firmly entrenched.

Now this tablet crappola again. Microsoft has a good x86 OS, it's called Windows 10. The problem is that they are trying to adapt it to other CPUs to save power, to exist with already existing hardware. Big mistake in my opinion. They still have, even after all these years, the predominant OS for desktop/laptop computers...and they should stick with what works and cut their lossses in other areas.

What did we end up with Windows CE, maybe a 1000 apps total, and many of those duplicates or variations of the same? Android is in the hundreds of thousands of apps, again the same, variations of each other, but the point is there is such a broad base of programmers out there who love to program, much of it without cost of special apps, that they wouldn't switch to another probably unless you had a really great incentive.

That would be a free and complete developers kit and a hardware base that made it worth their while. Again I feel this is where Microsoft failed. Charging for software development kits and such...they cut their own throats.

Now my mind is thing getting fragmented, but in summary, what you have today is what you are going to have 10 years from now, maybe even 20.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 2:59 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I wonder if it's like my windows 10 ? I call mine windows 10 advertisement edition

Microsoft continues to find ways to make stuff pop up to annoy try edge browser, try office 365, a few others that escape me right now, but there's more.....I know there are ways to disable but why is it there in the first place? at least google is more subtle about it.

Edited by thcrw739 2017-02-04 2:59 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 6:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I dumped edge, only using Opera browser now ane occasionally Chrome when I get a secure page that doesn't work under Opera.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-04 11:32 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I always thought RT was a good idea - after all the CE devices disappeared from consumer market, and then seeing how Windows Phone 7 could still perform so well based on CE and ARM, I wanted a continuation of Windows devices on mobile hardware. You know, small form factor, long battery life, instant-on, simplified apps - stuff we all like about CE.

RT was all that, but it failed to capture the market. It deserves a second chance, IMHO. This Win10 cloud could be that second chance. There are now more metro apps, and the Windows app store is now a better distribution channel than the traditional ones for Windows apps (retail package or downloads from publishers).

Am I the only one here who can see this at least might work?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-05 12:24 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

ARM is probably going to be heavily invested on for laptops that need mobility and battery life in the near future.
x86 is too complex probably to have a really good battery life no matter how hard you try...

Which is good...

I see lots of ARM being used these days for HPC (High Performance Computers) and there's a rumor Apple's going to have an ARM coprocessor for their laptops soon along with Intel processor.

It will really be a good strategy for Microsoft to focus on ARM architecture devices again, and invest even more on IoT.

I agree with takwu that Win 10 cloud could be that second chance!

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-05 12:25 AM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-02-20 9:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that Microsoft is going in at least 2 different directions for later this year.

1) A lightweight OS that will only run Universal Apps.

2) A version that will run 32bit apps, but only if downloaded from the Windows Store.

Is that what you guys are seeing too, or do you think both of these will be wrapped up into one?

Mike...

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-21 2:34 AM
#
H/PC Elder

do you mean the Win32 desktop apps? They already run under the normal Windows 10 (more or less) but MS is trying to make it easy for developers to convert them to universal apps, for 2 reasons I presume: have more universal apps that can run on phones and tablets (in addition to traditional PCs), and to get these apps available in Windows store instead of traditional distribution channels (retail stores and 3rd party websites).

The Windows store only distributes apps that run in Metro/Modern interface, which means the Win32 desktop apps cannot be sold there.
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-02-21 5:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

These two links make me think that Windows Cloud version, and the ARM version and the Windows Store only apps version could all be one and the same...

ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley weighed in with news that her sources say that Windows Cloud is basically a spiritual successor to Windows RT: a light-weight version of Windows that’s designed to only run Windows Store apps.

https://liliputing.com/2017/02/microsofts-rumored-windows-10-cloud-o...

Microsoft revealed last month that the company plans to bring Windows desktop apps to mobile ARM processors later this year.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/31/14450780/microsoft-windows-10-clo...

And the Windows Store only might only be an option...
https://www.maketecheasier.com/windows-10-cloud-everything-you-need-...

Mike...

Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-02-21 9:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Now, we will have all of following:
- OS for running UWP programs only
- OS for running Win32 programs only
- OS for running both Win32 and UWP programs
- OS for running both Win32 and UWP programs on x86 only
- OS for runnnig both Win32 and UWP programs on ARM only

However, I cannot see how this makes future of software better in any way.

Edited by Alt Bass 2017-02-21 9:38 PM
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9