x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is this the Jornada WinCE replacement?

1 2
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-02-18 12:25 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Or maybe you like dos

Mike...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-18 1:36 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks! That made my day!

Actually I was more of a Windows 95 person, never used DOS except in MS-DOS mode...

I like to use command line on Linux, but not the Windows / DOS's command prompt / CUI so much unless I have to do things like ping, tracert etc.

The Pixel costs $399 + Shipping now for the LTE model.

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-18 1:43 AM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-02-18 10:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You're looking at the Pixel Chromebook, right? Not to be confused with the Pixel C.

If you like SSH and text editing, it's very do-able on a chromebook running android apps...

Here I've got quickedit running, alongside JuiceSSH.

Mike...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-02-19 7:26 AM
#
H/PC Elder

wow that's quite a device...

As for the original question - is this a Jornada? WELL... I'd have to say no. If by Jornada you mean the more popular smaller ones like 680 or 72x, this is quite a bit bigger right? it's not quite as big as a Jornada 820 (or *gasp* a MP880) but still it's big.

Having said that I never put my 728 in my pants pockets when I had it

As for the Walmart tablets - they are a lot cheaper than your setup. Cheap price is also one of the factors many here got into HPCs...

I am more interested in the discussion about Chromebooks with Android apps though. It does sound like a great idea - imagine all those free/cheap apps/games you can run on a laptop, with instant on too As for a pocket sized Chromebook... well if it's pocket sized it might as well run Android directly, just my $0.02.

The more interesting question though, is if Chrome can run Android apps, would those larger tablets - 9-inch plus - be better off running Chrome OS instead of Android?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-20 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

mikeschn - 2017-02-18 7:54 PM

You're looking at the Pixel Chromebook, right? Not to be confused with the Pixel C.

If you like SSH and text editing, it's very do-able on a chromebook running android apps...

Here I've got quickedit running, alongside JuiceSSH.

Mike...

Yes, I was looking at Pixel Chromebook.

Thanks for showing me your setup.

I went to Akihabara (Tokyo's gadget town for those who don't know) yesterday to search for Chromebooks, but I couldn't find much! (There were lots of Windows 10 cheap laptops)
So after hours of looking at other laptops (SONY, ASUS, acer) in the $500-$707 range, i decided to get something else.

SONY RX100M3 digital camera. I will have to pick it up again in Akihabara 3 days later or so.

For my current use, I think my Macbook Air 11 inch will do, and if I want Android apps to load on it, I can use BlueStacks.

If I make some more money, I will try Chromebook though, maybe after Chromebook Pixel 3 is out...

Edited by stingraze 2017-02-20 9:30 PM
 Top of the page
PhilipsUser1999 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-27 12:47 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Nah. It's too big and pricey compared to what i've seen most PDAs go for on ebay. If it was the same size as a Jornada, it would be worth the cost. Cost is actually why I prefer PDAs, HPCs and the like to modern smartphones. If you have the right software it can do most of the same tasks and use less resources doing it. And most PDAs cost around $20.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.179 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10