x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cheap Windows 10 Tablets

Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2017-02-22 4:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Are the cheap ($100) Windows 10 tablets (2-in-1s) quickly overwhelmed by Windows 10 updates? Do they then become unusable? I think I've read this in online reviews somewhere. They should've kept Windows CE going - then we would now have very nifty 2-in-1s to play with.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-02-22 5:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You've highlighted your own problem, ironically. Windows CE has no update or servicing mechanism. No OEM ever released patching supplements for Windows CE and when there were new ROM images, they were never security focused. In other words, CE is a 21st century nightmare.

I find that the Surface 3 is just fine, but a lot of Chinese generics run on adapted SD card style flash rather than AHCI SSD's. This will kill performance and write speeds, so Windows update itself will kill the device. 2gb or RAM limits use and it needs 64GB+ of storage, 128 if you want any longevity + Office.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-02-22 9:23 PM
#
C:Amie - 2017-02-22 5:41 PM

You've highlighted your own problem, ironically. Windows CE has no update or servicing mechanism. No OEM ever released patching supplements for Windows CE and when there were new ROM images, they were never security focused. In other words, CE is a 21st century nightmare.

I find that the Surface 3 is just fine, but a lot of Chinese generics run on adapted SD card style flash rather than AHCI SSD's. This will kill performance and write speeds, so Windows update itself will kill the device. 2gb or RAM limits use and it needs 64GB+ of storage, 128 if you want any longevity + Office.

I have to disagree with that. Very many networked CE devices such as STBs have a proprietrary update mechanism implemented, that will download and install patches or ROM images without user intervention.

Edited by SwizzleDude 2017-02-22 9:24 PM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-23 5:42 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

But isn't the proprietary updates for UI on top of the Windows CE shell?

Even if ROM images were updated, does it mean it updates the Windows CE itself? like the build number goes up?
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-02-23 6:11 AM
#
stingraze - 2017-02-23 5:42 AM

But isn't the proprietary updates for UI on top of the Windows CE shell?

Even if ROM images were updated, does it mean it updates the Windows CE itself? like the build number goes up?

Both. I have a Windows CE based STB, and from time to time I can observe the build number change, so they do in fact issue updates for the underlying system
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-02-23 8:38 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hmmm! Interesting!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-02-25 1:23 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

SwizzleDude - 2017-02-22 9:23 PM

C:Amie - 2017-02-22 5:41 PM

I have to disagree with that. Very many networked CE devices such as STBs have a proprietrary update mechanism implemented, that will download and install patches or ROM images without user intervention.

proprietary... and by "very many" you of course mean an extremely small, ne microscopic proportion of the total number of instances of the Windows CE kernel that are floating around out in the world.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2017-02-27 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I can say that the one I have still works great! Mine is mentioned in this thread. Shortly after my wife claimed this tablet away from my daughter, I bought her a Kindle Fire. She gave me the Nextbook 2 in 1 without a second thought. It is still very fast and has a great battery life. I use it on all trips... I rarely take it out of the keyboard slot and when I do and she sees me with it, she says, "when did you get a new tablet?" every time.
After I got this tablet I actually gave my Microsoft Surface to my mom. I just never used the Surface anymore. It sat on the top shelf of our closet. Oh, and the Lenovo tablet for our daughter was replaced by a kids Kindle Fire very quickly. Good thing the Fire's are so cheap...

Where were these things 15-20 years ago?...!

Edited by Yoldering 2017-02-27 1:03 AM
 Top of the page
Chuck E Page Icon Posted 2017-02-27 2:04 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This is great to hear. I'll have a look at the Nextbook...I'm just afraid to buy one, as so many reviews out there say that these cheap 2-in-1s will work for a few weeks (or days) and then stop working. I see some good reviews on You-Tube...in fact the Nextbook I think did get a good review.
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2017-02-28 3:54 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you go on amazon.com and look up dual boot tablets you find some interesting one's that do windows and android.. all different price ranges.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.168 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9