x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-03-01 12:20 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Question for you guys...

Can WinCE be loaded onto a SBC?

Mike...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-03-01 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-02 8:30 PM
#
Of course it can. Windows CE runs on basically any device.

It just has to be developed specifically for the device you want to run it on, if the SBC doesn't have a Windows CE image you cannot.

What SBC are you talking about exactly?

Edited by SwizzleDude 2017-03-02 8:30 PM
 Top of the page
mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-03-02 10:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

How about the Raspberry Pi for example...

I did check out stingraze link, apparently there are still lots of problems. I don't know if a different sbc would have better luck. And I didn't want to go as far back as a 206mhz Arm...

Mike...

Edited by mikeschn 2017-03-02 10:46 PM
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 2:47 PM
#
There is an image of Windows CE for the pi but because of the lack of documentation on the hardware, there aren't any proper drivers. USB, network and such don't work, that's why it's useless
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 2:48 PM
#
You can get a BeagleBone board, they have great story and documentation
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 3:20 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I still have to wonder why? I mean for what purpose? CE as we use it is dead. No new web browsers. No new applications. No new anything.

If it is speed you want, then just go with a fast handheld running a different operating system.

The opening page of this website says it all:

Welcome To HPC:Factor

HPC:Factor is an online community of users who share a common interest in the legendary, yet legacy Microsoft Handheld PC platform and in its underlying operating system Microsoft Windows CE.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 7:57 PM
#
Rich Hawley - 2017-03-03 3:20 PM

I still have to wonder why? I mean for what purpose? CE as we use it is dead. No new web browsers. No new applications. No new anything.

If it is speed you want, then just go with a fast handheld running a different operating system.

The opening page of this website says it all:

Welcome To HPC:Factor

HPC:Factor is an online community of users who share a common interest in the legendary, yet legacy Microsoft Handheld PC platform and in its underlying operating system Microsoft Windows CE.

This.

Windows CE is an embedded OS. It's not made to be used as a traditional OS.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 10:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Oh really? I had no idea....

If you were to go back in time to the mid 90s, we would see that the hardware limitations of the era is what promoted the development of the Win CE operating system. That and nothing else. The x86 UMPCs or handhelds as we have them today would have been fine running Windows 95. But the hardware just didn't exist back then. Hence an abbreviated tiny OS had to be designed....CE.

So you can get a board today with everything on it relatively cheap. If I were to buy one you can be sure the OS I installed wouldn't be CE. It would be something that interacted well with the modern age, be it a variant of Linux, Android, or whatever.
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-03 10:49 PM
#
Rich Hawley - 2017-03-03 10:26 PM

Oh really? I had no idea....

If you were to go back in time to the mid 90s, we would see that the hardware limitations of the era is what promoted the development of the Win CE operating system. That and nothing else. The x86 UMPCs or handhelds as we have them today would have been fine running Windows 95. But the hardware just didn't exist back then. Hence an abbreviated tiny OS had to be designed....CE.

So you can get a board today with everything on it relatively cheap. If I were to buy one you can be sure the OS I installed wouldn't be CE. It would be something that interacted well with the modern age, be it a variant of Linux, Android, or whatever.

I actually agree with you, sorry if you misunderstood me
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-03-04 3:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I understand Swizzle. The whole thing drives me nuts. CE has the potential to do so much more if only hardware and software developers would support it. Even the OS file structure is so so much better...instead of this convoluted nightmare they call Android.

But without the proper BSPs to match the hardware...it is moot. And sad...
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-03-04 5:07 PM
#
So damn right. CE is such a stable, minimalistic system. All other embedded, small OSs are either bloated or badly designed. And yes, you can do basically anything on it, web server to watch
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9