x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

on screen keyboard - less is more?

1 2 3
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-03-17 10:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I used to use a 4 inch phone and I could type with the on screen keyboard really fast with little error (partly thanks to all the texting to my wife, then-girlfriend).

Then a few years back I switched to a 5 inch thinking bigger must be better for everything, but immediately found myself typing a lot slower with more mistakes. At first I thought new phone, different shape,size,weight I just needed to adjust. But after a year I still miss the old phones keyboard.

Btw its windows phone 7 vs 8 so the keyboard was practically the same other than size... Only thing I could think of was the lack of separate volume for the clicking sound so the new one is always too quiet.

Fast forward to about a month ago, now the phone is upgraded to windows 10 for a while. I was playing around in the settings and found that you can change the keyboard size from large to medium or small. I don't remember if it was defaulted to large or I changed it.

Why would anyone want to make the keys SMALLER? but then I miss my old phone smaller keyboard so why not try...

Omg I am typing just as fast on this phone as I did on the old phone. Is it the closer together keys? Further away from the edges? I don't know but this is a curious and honestly counter intuitive discovery for me.

I typed this whole post in landscape small size keyboard on my 5 inch phone. Pretty fast. Phew.

(wp_ss_20170317_0001.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments wp_ss_20170317_0001.png (95KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-03-19 6:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Do you type with both hands or one hand only?

In portrait mode, although I am right handed, I like to somehow type with left hand only.

I used to use this one-hand-only keyboard on my XPERIA Z5. (on the screenshot). It's narrow as you can see.

I use my both my thumbs usually in portrait mode.

Edited by stingraze 2017-03-19 7:07 AM

(xperia-kbd.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments xperia-kbd.jpg (39KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-03-21 11:13 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I always use both thumbs... not sure how you can type with one thumb I got small hands

But even with both thumbs I can't type fast if the keyboard is the large size - it has to be small
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-03-24 2:40 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

Smaller keyboards are better, and physical keyboards are best. I'm still using a BlackBerry Bold 9900 because I'm much faster on it.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-03-24 3:14 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Cool. So are you getting the Blackberry Priv or the new Keyone? It's kinda nice they still make keyboard phones after switching to android
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-03-25 5:48 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I probably won't. They both look very large. I tend to use the phone for phoning, texting, the calendar, notes, and the podcast app. So upgrading is not a major concern yet. All of those things still work very well.

Oh ... and I'm a two-thumb typer too.

Edited by Mobi 2017-03-25 5:51 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-03-25 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I was looking at the Blackberry Passport the other day, it looks very cool.
It seems you can put Android apps via Google Play although it has Blackberry OS on it.

Edited by stingraze 2017-03-25 7:21 AM
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-03-25 8:33 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

I have a Q10 (I like the 9900 a little more), and the android apps run very well, if they don't require Google Play Services. A user named Cobalt232 at CrackBerry has also developed a set of apps to enable Google Play Services, but not every app requiring those services works, even with Cobalt232's package installed. The Android runtime on BB10 is Android 4.3, so it's getting a little older, and there won't be any updates.

That being said, I really like the looks of the Passport Silver Edition. It would make a great mini tablet for me

Edited by Mobi 2017-03-25 8:35 PM
 Top of the page
Mobi Page Icon Posted 2017-04-12 5:35 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

So the other day I was surfing eBay (famous last words) and came across a Passport Silver Edition at a very good price. It has arrived. I really like the screen. Lots of room. It's great for web-surfing, e-reading, email, office tasks, etc. Android apps are fairly snappy. All things considered, I think it's going to be a keeper once I get used to this weird keyboard.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 7:49 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

That's very nice!

I recently bought a iPhone 5s for future app development use a couple days ago after watching Ghost in the Shell (lol).
I just had this sudden urge to buy one. haha. It was about $156.00 USD.

Apple A7 CPU & Space Gray color.

The screen is a little narrow as I use a 5 inch XPERIA Z5 usually. I think it will take some time getting used to.
I'm using the iPhone 5s without SIM. (only WiFi)
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 2:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow everyone getting a phone... My Lumia is giving me a few problems so I have to replace it.

I just ordered an Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows 10. It's on sale but still a lot of money. I will see if it's worth it...

The passport seems pretty awesome. Post some pictures ??

stingraze, I have seem a slideout keyboard for iPhone 5. You might want to consider one. Let me grab a link...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 4:37 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Takwu, I've seen the Idol 4s up close, and it looks impressive. The reviews have been good. I'm nursing my Lumia 640 along and had been planning to upgrade to the Idol (I'm on T-Mobile), but I'm not waiting to see what direction Microsoft is going with mobile. I'm tired of MS leaving me with abandoned platforms - WinCE, WinRT, and MS Band - I have them all.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-04-13 10:49 PM
#
H/PC Elder

PDXMark,
I have them all as well. But the thing is, if you come to this site, you pretty much deal with discontinued platforms anyway. I joined here when I got my Jornada 728, which was already discontinued and HPC2000 was no longer supported.

But we find ways to make great use of them anyways.

I still hang on to my Surface with Windows RT. Sure the apps selection is pretty much dead, and the built in IE doesn't work with many sites anymore; but I still find the device useful as a remote desktop client, plus its always fun to load up Spartan Assault once in a while.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2017-04-14 12:00 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

takwu - 2017-04-13 11:20 PM

Like this Buddy Keyboard
http://www.boxwave.com/apple-iphone-5s-cases-and-covers/keyboard-bu...

Thanks for the link. The Buddy Keyboard looks very nice.
I wish it was a little bit less expensive

I actually have a Bluetooth 3.0 keyboard by Rapoo which is well made and quite compact, although not foldable or anything.
The model no. is E6300.

Edited by stingraze 2017-04-14 12:02 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 14