x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PPC and PPC 2002 confusion

netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-20 9:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi,

I've purchased a Sierra Aircard 750 brand new with original installation CD and it does have the Aircard Watcher software for PPC and PPC 2002 on it. However, I was wondering if the software for PPC works on HPC2000 as well as I've just read in the book, Windows CE 3.0 Application Programming by Prentice Hall, that PPC is actually Windows CE 3.0 based.

Does anybody know what they are based on?

Is it true that PPC is based on CE 3.0 and is PPC software likely to run on HPC2000 as well?

Dennis
 Top of the page
SwizzleDude
SwizzleDude Page Icon Posted 2017-04-20 10:04 AM
#
Yes, PPC is in fact based on CE. It is possible for PPC software to run on standard CE, however this is unlikely due to PPC-specific libraries and such.
 Top of the page
netcat Page Icon Posted 2017-04-20 10:57 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Swizzle Dude,

Thanks for the quick answer. So from my understanding I have to check the executable with something like Dependency Walker for dependency and place the missing .dll files into the program folder in order to run it?

Edited by netcat 2017-04-20 11:14 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-04-20 6:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Driver hacks using stub files can be extremely unreliable. The PPC API framework has things in it that the H/PC core does not. If the driver needs to call one of these and it only encounters an unmapped stub import, splat. PPC and HPC share the same kernel, but different (but similar) userlands and completely different shells.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-04-21 9:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Hardware Support

There are a few posts in these forums about the 750. Try the "Search" link on the upper left-hand corner of this page - you might find clues in some of those other threads.

Sierra Wireless did actually have an H/PC 2000 driver for the 750, but we've never gotten hold of it to put in the Hardware Compatibility List. If any other users here still have the driver, we'd appreciate it if you'd share it with us. (The links from Sierra's Web site mentioned in the threads are all dead since the 750 went end-of-life a long time ago. )

Both Pocket PC 2000 and Pocket PC 2002 are based on CE 3.0. It might be possible to get one of those drivers to work, but as C:Amie said, the API sets are not identical between the Pocket PC platforms and H/PC 2000, so it's basically hit-and-miss trying to add Pocket PC DLLs. It could take a while finding the right combination - if there is one at all.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9