x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

If you were designing Windows S...

mikeschn Page Icon Posted 2017-05-04 12:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just for giggles, if you were designing Windows S, what would it look like?

How would you get many many apps into a Windows S store, starting from ground zero?

I know it's a silly thing to think about, but back in the good old days it was easy to program on a dos or windows platform. Remember QB45? VBDos? VBWin? I would find a way to put programming back into the hands of real people again.

I'd get rid of advertising. Windows should not be an advertising platform. And though I haven't seen windows S yet, I'm sure it's gonna advertise the snot out of the kids in school.

Of course, I'd like it to be fast and easy to use.

What do you think?

Mike...

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-05-04 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1. Microsoft should go back and complete the Android adaption layer for its app store and release it. Boom. Now it's viable.

2. forget phone hardware. Microsoft should develop images for Android devices. Partner with Samsung to allow devices to be picked up and converted easily between the two. Galaxy S8 running Windows 10 if you want it? A $25 license for a corporate user would be nothing. Microsoft can then basically be the saviour of Android fragmentation because Microsoft will keep your device patched with Windows.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-05-04 7:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Uh...how about Windows S with the ability to run Apple iPad/iPhone apps?
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-05-05 1:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It is legally impossible. You can easily imagine amount of legal barriers which Apple created to prevent that.
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-05-05 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Is there a Windows S store though? I thought that it will reuse the store.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-05-05 3:52 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2017-05-04 7:17 PM

Uh...how about Windows S with the ability to run Apple iPad/iPhone apps?
Android apps run through the Java JIT compiler, meaning that it is pretty easy to perform redirection of hardware calls - that's how Java works, Java RE is a virtual machine, which means that it is possible to basically re-write the virtual machine in a way that allow it to seamlessly integrate into Windows's app ecosystem. Apple apps are a completely different fish.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-05-05 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thats how they are adding android apps compatibilty to chrome os i guess
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-05-05 8:58 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yep, basically. Although they do at least share a nearly identical kernel (I think), there is still a VM layer involved somewhere though.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2017-05-07 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Now that i thought about it for a little while, i have my answer to this thread - i would not change anything.

I think MS did what was needed to stay in the game, and here is why. People are moving towards replacing their laptops with their tablets, just as they replaced their desktops with their laptops. In fact, thats exactly what the Surface Pro main selling point is - "a tablet that can replace your laptop."

It is a popular trend - so much so that Apple made the iPad Pro line, which many has called an embarassing copy of Surface Pro. Not mention the real copycats made by several manufacturers that also mimic this form factor.

But thats not quite enough. These Surface Pro inspired devices are still much too expensive compared to traditional laptops and tablets, or even to getting one of each. Many including myself would simply get a cheap laptop plus a cheap tablet to cover all uses. Thats because you still need to use Windows desktop software sometimes.

However that wont last forever as mobile systems will get more and more capable and compatible, to the point where Windows desktop software is no longer needed by most users, hence the iPad Pro line again. MS needs to face that fact and do something to get on the mobile systems game.

It needs to convert traditional laptop users to use their mobile system instead of Android or iOS. To do that they need to convert desktop software developers to port their products to Windows store apps. They have been trying many strategies to that end, and the latest is Win10S. And i think this might do it.

If even a sizeable portion of new laptops come with Windows 10 S, especially the low end ones, then developers have enough reasons to release their next major version in the store. Their customers who still use Windows 8/10 Home/Pro wont be affected as they will still be able to get their software from the store, but support for Win7 will wind down or end soon in favour of 10S.

If this works out, MS has now a viable mobile platform - with much developer support, and without the high specs requirements (recommendation) of Windows 10 Home or Pro. It might even be able to get ARM architecture that is used almost exclusively by Android and iOS. That is the intention of Windows 10 S.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10