This was another CE-based device intended as a media player. It runs CE 6. Unlike the P5/Q5, which I've talked about previously, in the V5 Cowon went with an ARM-based processor rather than the MIPS processor it used in the P5/Q5 (which ran CE 5). The V5 has a Telechips ARM11 series processor, similar to the SmartDevices SmartQ V5 and V7. There was a somewhat flattering review of the device on Engadget when it first came out in 2010 (rather surprising to me since Engadget has a reputation for trashing Windows CE-based devices):
So far, though, the one I've tracked down seems a little quirky. Because there's no applet for selecting the USB client mode, you have to edit the registry manually (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Drivers/USB) to try to connect via ActiveSync. So far, though, I've only succeeded in connecting a few times, with problems each time. Twice it refused to connect as anything other than a guest, while the other times I was able to successfully create a partnership, only to get "unresolved items" messages each time. (Clicking on "Resolve items" re-ran the sync process but still left the same items unresolved at the end.) In USB Mass Storage mode there does not appear to be any problem reading from and writing to the NAND storage area.
Not sure what the problem is. I've noticed some problems with the same error message when synching a couple of my Nova 5000s, though those results vary after resetting the latter device. I tried upgrading the firmware on the V5 to the latest version (1.21), but it had no effect on the problem. What could be causing this problem?
It does, but it's very easy to get to the CE desktop from there (or even bypass the UI altogether). There's even a selection within the UI to tell it to boot directly into the CE desktop.
A lot of DLLs found in most CE 6 devices, including aygshell.dll, are missing from \Windows, so you have to add them to make a lot of apps work. (Not a big problem, of course.) Of course the PIM files and databases are missing as well, but can be added as in this tutorial:
The problem I'm having is in synching them correctly from Outlook on my PC. I've tried connecting the device through ActiveSync on my XP PC, and through Windows Mobile Device Center on my Windows 7 PCs. (I've never connected successfully through the latter. Each time it says "Connecting" for a couple of seconds, then disconnects, then says "Connecting" a second time for a couple of seconds, then gives up trying to connect. With the XP PC, other than the few times I've connected as described above, most of the time nothing happens at all on the PC even though I open ActiveSync on the PC beforehand. On the V5 it just continues saying "Connecting to Host" until it gives up or until I cancel the attempt.) (NOTE: I'm using Serial_Class as the client mode for sync connection, as I had done with the P5 in my thread on that device in the CE 5 forums. That installs the USB sync driver successfully. Using USBSER_Class doesn't work - the PC can't identify the device, looks for a driver on the PC and online, and can't find one.)