x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Handheld - GPD Pocket

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 3:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Came across this on Youtube. Looks fantastic. (Yes, it has a touch screen!)

Their IndieGoGo page (already funded) : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu...

And here's a great little look at the thing (Youtube - Lon.TV) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbl9CXGwMLE

This looks like my ideal HPC replacement. Granted, no WinCE or pen input but it's a start. Runs Windows 10 or Linux. Pricey though at 600USD. But then again, how much was the Philips Velo when it first came out?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 7:54 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Wonder if Microsoft will complain about their using the term "Pocket PC" on that page.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 1:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Microsoft needs to shut it until they release a new WinCE handheld!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 10:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'll second that motion.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm lurking in their reddit forum, hoping for the best and watching out for 1rst gen problems. Complaints mostly about an ineffective usb hub accessory, so if that's the worst...

A couple of complaints about the battery, but universal praise for quality of build. Also worries about heat.

I'm also watching for the Gemini PDA release.

Jake
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ah, the Gemini. I really like that one too. Reminds me a lot of the old Psion 5's.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-06-17 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2017-12-10 12:28 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Has anyone on HPC Factor purchased one of these things? I'm curious to hear any impressions, if so.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-10 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Not yet released.

Jake
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2017-12-12 5:04 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Actually it has been released several months ago. I don't like the keyboard layout so I didn't buy one but I hope someone on here did.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-12 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I apologize, I was looking at the posts above about the Gemini. I actually bought a Pocket in August. True, the keyboard is a strange one, but I remapped a couple of keys and that helps. Second gen better than the first. The Pocket's reddit forum has some other hardware complaints, but generally, it seems users are happy.

It's a perfect traveling machine, and the Linux work is great, much better than the Pocket's own Ubuntu.

Jake
 Top of the page
markfptuson Page Icon Posted 2017-12-16 10:20 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I also have one of these things. It looks like a toy when you're just looking over them online, but in person they're really solidly built, have awesome displays, and the processing power is enough for some gaming and even for building software in Visual Studio. I've set mine up as a little all-round knockabout machine with some programming tools and games, and Office (full Office works surprisingly well on a 7" screen, would you credit).

Also looking forward to the release of the Gemini. I'm a die-hard Windows 10 Mobile user, and vowed that I'd use my Lumia 950 until it either fell to pieces or the Surface Mobile materialized, but having a clamshell PDA with an actual physical keyboard has swayed me. I'm wanting to get one of those, even though I'm planning on continuing to use my Lumia for some things.
 Top of the page
Duckworth Page Icon Posted 2017-12-19 6:53 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for the two reviews. So how would the two of you guys say that the keyboard experience is compared to a Jornada 720 or a MobilePro?
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2017-12-19 8:55 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Don't have a MobilePro, but a Jornada 720 keyboard runs circles around the Pocket's--and I would bet that the MobilePro would do the same.

That said, the rest of the hardware is obviously much better on the Pocket. And I've learned to live w/ the Pocket's peculiar approach to typing.

Jake
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2018-01-15 1:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I really want to buy the Gemini on its indiegogo page but I'm afraid of sending the money and never receiving a product.

I am also excitedly awaiting the Windows on ARM tablets coming this summer.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.206 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11