x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is the NEC MobilePro 900C the "LAST" HPC?

HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-19 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm curious, the NEC MP900C was released in what, 2004? Is it the last WinCE HPC ever released? I think Japan continued for a while, but I'm mainly thinking about handhelds released in the West. I know HP had their business line of PDA's up until relatively recently, but those aren't HPC's like I'm thinking about.

Anyone know? I have the first ever HPC WinCE handheld and would like to have the very last HPC WinCE handheld.

*Edit*
I'm also not considering the Sylvania type WinCE netbooks as WinCE HPC's. (So don't include them )

Edited by HPC:Fan 2017-06-19 8:33 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2017-06-20 5:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 900C wasn't a dictionary definition Handheld PC as it didn't run a H/PC OS, it runs the Windows CE core. The MP900 was likely the last H/PC as it shipped with HPC2000 on it.

If you want to factor core devices then there were a few CE 4.2, 5.0, 6.0 devices floating around too in various form factors.
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-20 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for the info C:Amie. I'm thinking more or less clamshell designed devices running WinCE (any flavor) with touch screen input. Like, the "last official clamshell handheld with pen input" if you know what I mean?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2017-06-21 4:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

According to pdadb.net, the Psion Netbook Pro was released in October of 2003, six months before the 900C shipped with Windows CE .net 4.2 preinstalled. In my never-ending search for CE devices, I've yet to see a CE 5 or higher clamshell device with both keyboard and touchscreen. (Lots of devices with one or the other. )
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2017-06-22 5:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

WinCE is archaistic OS (and kernel) with some major disadvantages in it, performance and software quality -wise.

I am perfectly sincere.when I say that I would be fine with any OS which gives extensive set.of keyboard shortcuts (CE does not even have usual alt-tab natively) and some very basic set of required background tasks.

Edited by Alt Bass 2017-06-22 5:03 AM
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-22 10:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Ok, so the MobilePro 900/C was in fact the last handheld computer that ran WinCE. Thanks!
 Top of the page
ntware Page Icon Posted 2017-06-25 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I don't think we are going to see WinCE "HPC's" anymore. However, how about an authentic x64 Windows HPC? Check this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu...
It is already in pre sale and I'm getting mine!

After a few minutes on Google, I found out another HPC coming soon. It seems that companies finally woke up for the great clamshell form factor again. Check this: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard...
This Gemini PDA seems to be very nice. It was co-designed by Martin Riddiford, one of the creators of the original Psion. I can't wait for it to be ready!!! =)
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-25 1:26 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yep, made a thread about them: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18327&po... They look like great little devices, am really keen on one!
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2017-06-25 3:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Win CE was important when memory was a factor in construction. It no longer is. So neither is Win CE, at least for handhelds. Add the fact that most programmers these days are lazy and inefficient in their coding and you can see why the CE environment loses more popularity each year. Sad...so sad...
 Top of the page
HPC:Fan Page Icon Posted 2017-06-25 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Memory is cheap and plentiful, and because of this a lot of programs have become unnecessary memory hogs. I remember great little programs under 100kb that left no real footprint behind on WinCE devices.
 Top of the page
Teflow Page Icon Posted 2017-06-26 12:49 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It seemed program size was always an issue even back in the day I was using a brand new Compaq c120. When I started using a Visor Edge I couldn't believe how much smaller in size the programs were.
 Top of the page
marcmira Page Icon Posted 2017-07-04 12:11 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I respect the hpc for one reason: you dont need a advanced machine to work.

900c had a usb port , if jornada had one included on handheld, not in craddle will be more powerful.

that netbooks with ce dont had the classy style of oldest hpc,if had a good price bought it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11